[kictanet] Day 2: What are the current modalities for accessing data?

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 10:43:07 EAT 2007

I wish to comment on Day 2 theme...

I think currently, access to data in government is dictated
by the Secret Act or something.  I have not reviewed that
Act (am not the only one ;-) but I do know from practice
that in Govt most data is considered top-secret.  You
recall for example how the draft ICT Policy was labelled
top-secret for 10years, until when Eng. Rege (former PS)
blew up this myth (thanx Rege!)...

But Govt is not the only custodian of public data. The
private sector does host alot of data on the public and how
they handle it seems to be left to their own discretion.
Think about it, your mobile transactions, your credit card
transactions, your medical insurance data, your emails,
etc.  They are all under the 'mercy' of your service
provider.  They can trade it in, they can mishandle it or
they can be simply be negligent to the point that the data
falls into wrong hands...some hacker who can then use it to
blackmail you....

This, i believe is where this FOI Bill is coming from and I
am suprised that very few comments are comming through
about this important issue...

walu.

http://kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/jwalu%40yahoo.com