[kictanet] Day 10 of 10: Reconciling Stakeholder Interests

Lucy Kimani lkimani at comnews.co.ke
Tue Feb 6 09:58:14 EAT 2007

Walu:

"What are the top three things, each Stakeholder (Operators, Regulators,
Consumers and Govt) should do in order to provide a win-win situation for
everybody in the new OFC dispensation?"

In my humble opinion and this is of course from a consumer perspective I
would list priorities as follows:

1)As was pointed out the Operators, Regulators and Govt have been working
closely for the past 4 years, clearly missing was the consumer in this
relationship, and this needs to change.  I am glad the current discussions
have highlighted the need to include the consumer as an important
stakeholder in all policy making etc.
2)The consumer association that is yet to be registered for reasons not
clear to me needs to be a reality -- The consumer needs a face, so there
is an entity to negotiate, partner, and hold the various bodies
accountable on behalf of consumers, and the consumers need to know they
have an entity that will address their concerns.
3)I am confident I speak for many consumers when I say that we are all
looking for quality and affordable telecommunciation services so whatever
model the OFC adopts needs to ensure the consumer gets closer to achieving
these objectives.

LK