[kictanet] [Kictanet] Existing/Appropriate Regulatory Models for OFC (Day 8 Cont'd)

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 4 17:10:05 EAT 2007

oops!

... but seriously there quite a number of underlying issues. But in short:-

1. Regulator - Should begin by establishing a relationship framework with consumers and multi-located businesses and facilitate them with their own fibre rollouts- Remember it is cheap and can pass overhead on electric poles,  riverbeds, hills etc especially where big telcos do not find the business case to do it. Help change "LICENSE" a facilitative piece of paper not an intimidating  obstacle to consumer - affordable telecommunication.

2. Operators - they assist in the operations/management of consumer-customer owned last mile fibre and/or mash (2.4 and 5.8 GHz) networks

3 Government - Ministry of Information should ensure the wonderful consumer protection clauses in the ICT policy (and upcoming Information laws) do not end as relics. The implementation strategy has to be theirs. So don't ask me :-)

4. Everyone - to be honest.

Briefest I could get.

/Alex

John Walubengo <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote: Alex,

Plse, to avoid information overload, plse give a preamble
(executive summary) of what your links do elaborate in what
I believe would be much detail.

It will be much, much more helpful in that you would assist
us in internalising the whole idea/model...so back to
Mucheru's qtn.  How can/should the Consumers as one of the
Key stakeholders engage with the others  namely, Regulator,
Operator, Govt, in the future dispensation (when OFC has
been provisioned?).

walu.
NB: we shall start on the Closing phase on Monday. I
remembered Kenyans (and other African users?) are not
active internet users on weekends..

=== message truncated ===>