[Kictanet] Existing/Appropriate Regulatory Models for OFC (2days)

joseph kihanya kihanyajn at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 14:28:43 EAT 2007

The regulatory framework I am afraid has to have its background against what is and has become current over the last 15 years or so globally.
It can be viewed both at the national level and at the international arena.
It is important to note that regulation in telecommunications is a public policy matter for any country. Governments must design and implement regulation based on the needs of a particular country and its peculiar historical or other circumstances, of course tending towards best practices.

Telecommunications regulation in the transition from a monopolistic  and largely anti- market based approaches to supply of services,  to a market based approach in a liberalized era, mandated most governments and  hence societies to seek regulatory oversight. This was against an anticipated reduction of oversight given that market forces/ competition was to guide, in the long term, the development of this industry as in others. Consensus appears to be that in the short term-as a guide/ facilitator to liberalization, regulatory bodies were and are required.
It is indeed even anticipated that it is in this transitional stage that the regulators will be so busy – for the obvious reasons that the new players may gain dominance very quickly and attain the monopolistic tendencies of the historical operators.
Why is regulation in telecommunications important?
1. It authorizes new operators.
2. It removes barriers to entry.
3. It mandates interconnection between players.
4. It oversees the penetration of services in areas that commercial imperatives would not allow or pursue.
The objectives of transparent telecommunications regulation are mainly the following;
Oversee competitive markets by;
 Promoting efficient supply of services.
 Ensuring good QOS
 Promote advances services
 Enable the maintenance of efficient pricing.
 Prevent abuse of significant market powers.
 Protect consumer rights/privacy rights.
 Facilitate interconnection thereby efficient use of telecommunication services.
 Oversee the optimal use of the finite radio frequency spectrum.
From the foregoing, it is clear that, in the short term at least, most countries, Kenya included have an interest to regulate telecommunications services provision.
The question therefore only remains as to whether the OFC is within the ambit of what may be regulated in the industry.
Deregulation is a theme that is in play in most jurisdictions that have achieved above optimal competitive markets. The case of the UK under the Communications Act 2003 and the role of OFCOM are in point.
Given that there is  no direct call for deregulation even under the National ICT policy 2006, it would appear that the strategies suggested at 3.3.1 in relation to information technology infrastructure would entail a fair amount of regulation. This is especially given the fact that despite encouragement of the laying of the infrastructure, only so few options will be available, Indeed, in the OFC case, perhaps 2 will be a lucky option for many for the next 5-10 years or  more.
Do we then need a regulatory framework?

My answer is yes and perhaps for tempering, a hesitant qualifier.

Competition laws are likely to be the most fundamental “regulatory framework” for the OFC as indeed for any other services.
It is particular to note that even in the UK the Office of Fair Trading and OFCOM share equivalent powers in relation to fostering competition. The CCK will have to; in the very short to medium term translate from the   “licenser”- facilitator of entry- primarily- to a serious competition oversight body with sound, quick and efficient determinations. If I am not wrong the only recorded competition determination relates to the cyber-café association- common pricing attempt- I stand to be corrected. Interconnection determinations have been one- Kencell vs TKL ?
This will be countered and perhaps also enhanced by an independent competition body- the workings of the anti-monopolies commissioner under the Restrictive Trade Practices Act (Chapter 504 Laws of Kenya), are highly opaque.
Other countries, such as Australia have also undergone  a transformation from maintaining industry specific competition principles and statutes for the telecommunication sector to an all inclusive co- competition oversight regime in the interim and a sustainable sole competition / regulatory framework for all industries.
As such therefore, regulation for the OFC may be through the competition framework under the CA 1998 or the KICT BILL 2006.
Complete lack of regulation may therefore not be an option at all.
Whatever business model is adopted, the Key question is whether as a country in acute need of the OFC, we would facilitate its provisioning of services within the country without any regard to any oversight of any sort for whatever purpose.
At the international level.
The WTO and the ITU also anticipate regulatory oversight in telecommunications too and Kenya, being party to these organizations would be hard pressed to provision services without oversight (if that were possible), especially since the OFC will be extra-territorial.
I would suggest that a reading of this Reference paper at the WTO would elaborate on this aspect. See www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/serv_e/telecom_e/tel23_e.htm

The best regulatory models would for me therefore be within the competition framework.

It would be difficult to try and regulate  any/the OFC, singularly, as it would also perhaps border on the unconstitutional, there being a bar againts discrimination under our Constitution.

Sector specific  competition regulation under the CA1998 may work in the meantime but in the long run a clear policy that has a  generic definition of what significant market power is, would serve the industry best.

Kihanya