[kictanet] Fibre Optic & Cyber Security, March 2009

Pauline Muthigani pauline at nordic.co.ke
Thu Dec 6 13:22:48 EAT 2007

Walu,
True, Kenya and the whole region have become the preferred destination for
executing cyber crimes . Top on the agenda for the ICT fraternity, and the
board  should be to see to it that the e-legislation bill is passed and
enacted much sooner than 2009.

 My experience with ICT investors especially in eCommerce and eBusiness,
confirms that unless the Cyber Security issues are dealt with(
investigations and prosecutions etc), Broadband or no Broadband , Kenya
still is not a competitive destination as we would wish her to be.Even
for the really great digital village initiatives, the risk is high
there..I hope the owners are being made aware.

What we need is a 'conducive environment and security assured
infrastructure' the rest will fit in.

The Dubai model is worth borrowing a leaf from.

First things first.

rgds,
Pauline