[kictanet] Communication Methods: History Repeats Itself

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 11:10:46 EAT 2007

I wish to take a historical perspective re-looking the
continuing fibre debate to prove why we cannot resist
change and win.

I learnt this morning that Mombasa had a submarine
cable connection in 1895 to the rest of the world!

After Marconi invented the radio in 1900,that became
the "new" communication method and served the time
well. HF still in use in ships and today CCK still
licenses radio hobbyists
<http://www.qsl.net/oh2mcn/5z4.htm>

1950s saw arrival of the satellite, better and cheaper
than substituting long range radio.

In the 1970s came fibre for communication used in
conjunction with satellites, has been serving us thus
far. The first documented article on local use was in
1983 on the Kenya Engineer magazine written by Eng.
John Kariuki. This fibre connected Westlands, City
Centre, Southands and Embakasi.

Twenty years later, can we really afford to argue
against fibre connectivity? Shall we stall it and wait
for 10 years to be dumping sites for "old" fibre
technology after the new type of connectivity PS
mentioned is broadly deployed out there?

Developed countries, such as Canada, are now
delivering 1 Gigs to to home through FTTH projects.

Let us also remember that PS Ndemo still has a order
pending complete execution.
<http://www.statehousekenya.go.ke/speeches/kibaki/
feb06/2006280201.htm>

Regards,

Alex

For the record, I differ with a separate post calling
for list information gatekeeping allowing only deemed
"useful content" since if that principle were extended
to radio, TV, this list would be flooded with claims
of broad censorship:) I believe the current debates
will seasonate settle fizzle out sooner or later. But
should one be uncomfortable with another's postings,
just press DELETE without ever opening the messages:)

Personally I am happy to read every post because I
always learn new things.