[kictanet] The Marine Cable

alice alice at apc.org
Mon Dec 3 19:45:15 EAT 2007

Dear all

Is the question whether or not the public infrastructure that we are
investing in as a country is going to proof to be of value in the long
term?
A valid question indeed, because there are many types of info com
infrastructure deployment initiatives that have not always produced or
achieved the desired outcomes, resulting in networks that do not realise
their potential value and as a result failure to realise universal
access expectations. Reasons could be varied from the previous state of
the market/sector, reluctant stakeholders, the overall political
situation, even non-ambitious users, etc. etc.
We should however look at the TEAMS initiative broadly within the
context of ICTs as enablers of socio-economic development... e.g
improved delivery of health care services, better access to government
services, increased quantity and quality of education/training
opportunities and the list goes on.  The value of TEAMS will of course
only be realised if we have wide spread national terrestrial fibre to
complement it and locally generated content, services and applications.
So the demand side is even more crucial therefore calling for greater
participation of the users/consumers in this process.  So initiatives
like our digital villages, which seem to follow the community owned
network framework are essential...

best

alice