[kictanet] The Kenya Communications Amendment Bill

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 18:45:49 EAT 2007

I disagree with Sam Vaknin's arguments "Regulate the
Internet!"

"It is time for legislators and regulators to step in.
Even a moderate dose of legislation and the
willingness not to succumb to either to mob or to
business pressures will go a long way towards
restoring the Internet to its original purpose: the
civilized and lawful - not to mention pleasurable -
exchange of information and opinion over computer
networks."

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=34976

But Greek and Latin owe their humbling philosophical
esteem to regard, value, and placing the essence of a
good debate far above time-tied points of view. Thus,
I am happy in Kenya recently I attended a meeting only
to find all asked to satisfactorily justify their
support of THE OPPOSITE point of view. How clever of
them....

"Democracy is hard, perhaps the most complex and
difficult of all forms of government. It is filled
with tensions and contradictions, and requires that
its members labor diligently to make it work.
Democracy is not designed for efficiency, but for
accountability; a
democratic government may not be able to act as
quickly as a dictatorship, but once committed to a
course of action it can draw upon deep wellsprings of
popular support,"

http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/democracy/

This is the space all citizens are obliged to
aggressively defend and not so quickly entrust it to
powerful government leaders submerged in own
interests.

Let's debate some more Brian!

=== message truncated ===