[kictanet] The Kenya Communications Amendment Bill

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 20:55:50 EAT 2007

Dear Dr. Ndemo,

It is terrible the media called a dog! but thank you
very much for easing the weight of responsibility...

http://www.isoc.or.ke

Certainly, I would really appreciate if my full
confidence were restored considering frighteningly it
appears communication is under attack across Africa:
The New Struggle for Press Freedom in Africa
http://allafrica.com/stories/200708201115.html and
stories like "Botswana, Kenya and Zimbabwe pass
tyrannical Bills"
http://www.eastandard.net/archives/index.php?mnu=details&id=1143973075&catid=4

I trust you understand why I have to stay put
regarding the Communication Amendment Bill - concerned
because since March 2006, the top five most popular
Ethiopian web sites (including CyberEthiopia) and
several blogs have been blocked and are inaccessible
across Ethiopia. The apparent objective is to prevent
the dissemination of information that is critical of
the current regime.

See
http://www.cyberethiopia.com/net/docs/internet_repression_in_ethiopia.html

RSF had also reported the censorship along with other
media watchdogs and had called on the relevant
ministries in Ethiopia, but no reaction so far.
http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=17783

I am only afraid that foreign companies may not trust
their outsourcing to our entrepreneurs if only and
just government were remotely perceived "packet
sniffing"    regime. I have no doubt all of us in
Kenya wish nothing came in our way of vision 2030.

Lord forbid but should Kenya sink, we all go under and
I want to stay afloat with my head above the water for
a long time.

Regards,

Alex

=== message truncated ===