[kictanet] Update on Kenyaś OOXML Vote

Dorcas Muthoni dmuthoni at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 15:07:19 EAT 2007

I just made contact with one of the committee members and i am told that the
vote went Yes in Kenya last evening.

We had a problem in that out of 12 members in the committee, 7 were from
Microsoft or were Microsoft dealers/partners and were actually brought into
the committe by Microsoft.

I am told the vote was:

9 - Yes (Microsoft and dealers/partners, 1 university, I society)
2 - No (Kenya Airways and IBM East Africa)
1 - Abstain (Kenya Bureau of Standards and Committee Secretariat)

This committee met only 5 times.

Once i get the official copy of this ballot, i will post more information.

The committee was not representative of the industry. Most members
representing the various organisations were not experts in the subject
matter from my analysis. I attended part of the meeting yesterday.

Muthoni