[kictanet] Procedure for appointment?

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Tue Aug 14 08:40:51 EAT 2007

I think in future it may prudent to direct questions to the source on
issues such as Board Appointment.  In the past, it was purely the
prerogative of the President and the Minister to appoint even the MD.

This has since changed and we want it to change even further to enable
stakeholders to nominate potential candidates.  If you carefully
scrutinize the ICT Board and Management appointment, you will see our
rationale.  The CEO went through a vetting process by Delloite.  The
Minister only confirmed the outcome.  We needed both the CEO and the
Chairperson to be both marketers and have some knowledge of ICT to market
our country as an outsource destination.

The Board appointments were made in such a way to accomodate most of the
stakeholders and also takes into account on such issues as Gender,
diversity (age, race, religion, public/private etc).  With all these
variables, it is not difficult to annoy a few in the process.  What needs
to be done is to have a legal requirement as we have done with the Film
Commission that the stakeholders nominate.  But even in this case some
stakeholders are not permanent entities or are not recognized by all.

In my view Kicktanet is a wonderful organization but it has remained a
virtual club.  We need to move its agenda a notch higher to create
interface between policy making and the citizenry.  I have given my views
on this to the consultant but we should one day have an holds barred
seminar to reform this noble organization.

Regards

Bitange Ndemo.