[kictanet] Say NO to OOXML campaign

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 17:24:38 EAT 2007

Dear Listers,

the so said campaign,final deliberations will be held  tomorrow and possibly
the voting will take place on kenya's positon regarding this matter. please
do not let it,pass without you having a say that could greatly affect or
build this industry.

Below are some of the issues,that can be found on the net,concerning this
matter. please Vote No.

Kind Regards,

Six questions to national standardisation bodies [Also available as PDF
(28k) <http://fsfeurope.org/documents/msooxml-questions.pdf>]

The following six questions relate to the application of the ECMA/MS-OOXML
format to be accepted as an IEC/ISO standard. Unless a national
standardisation body has conclusive answers to all of them, it should vote
no in IEC/ISO and request that Microsoft incorporate its work on MS-OOXML
into ISO/IEC 26300:2006 (Open Document Format).

This is a summary document. More detailed information is available online.

   - http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/EOOXML_objections
   - http://www.xmlopen.org/ooxml-wiki/index.php/DIS_29500_Comments
   - http://www.noooxml.org/arguments

   1. Application independence?

   No standard should ever depend on a certain operating system,
   environment or application. Application and implementation independence is
   one of the most important properties of all standards.

   * Is the MS-OOXML specification free from any references to particular
   products of any vendor and their specific behaviour? *

   2. Supporting pre-existing Open Standards?

   Whenever applicable and possible, standards should build upon previous
   standardisation efforts and not depend on proprietary, vendor-specific
   technologies.

   MS-OOXML neglects various standards, such as MathML and SVG, which are
   recommendations by the W3C, and uses its own vendor-specific formats
   instead. This puts a substantial burden on all vendors to follow Microsoft
   in its proprietary infrastructure built over the past 20 years in order to
   fully implement MS-OOXML. It seems questionable how any third party could
   ever implement them equally well.

   * What is the benefit of accepting usage of such vendor-specific
   formats at the expense of standardisation in these areas? Where will other
   vendors get competitive, compatible and complete implementations for all
   platforms to avoid prohibitively large investments? *

   3. Backward compatibility for all vendors?

   One of the alledged main advantages of MS-OOXML is its ability to
   allow for backward compatibility, as also referenced in the ECMA
   International press
release<http://www.ecma-international.org/news/PressReleases/PR_TC45_Dec2006.htm>.

   For any standard it is essential that it is implementable by any third
   party without necessity of cooperation by another company, additional
   restricted information or legal agreements or indemnifications. It is also
   essential to not require the cooperation of any competitor to achieve full
   and comparable interoperability.

   * On the grounds of the existing MS-OOXML specification, can any third
   party regardless of business model, without access to additional information
   and without the cooperation of Microsoft implement full backward
   compatibility and conversion of such legacy documents into MS-OOXML
   comparable to what Microsoft can offer? *

   4. Proprietary extensions?

   Proprietary, application-specific extensions are a known technique
   employed in particular by Microsoft to abuse and leverage its desktop
   monopoly into neighboring markets. It is a technique at the heart of the
   abusive behaviour that was at the core of the decision against Microsoft by
   the European Commission in 2004 and Microsoft is until today continuing its
   refusal to release the necessary interoperability information.

   For this reason, it is common understanding that Open Standards should
   not allow such proprietary extensions, and that such market-distorting
   techniques should not be possible on the grounds of an Open Standard.

   * Does MS-OOXML allow proprietary extensions? Is Microsoft's
   implementation of MS-OOXML faithful, i.e. without undocumented
   extensions? Are there safeguards against such abusive behaviour? *

   5. Dual standards?

   The goal of all standardisation is always to come to one single
   standard, as multiple standards always provide an impediment to competition.
   Seeming competition on the standard is truly a strategic measure to gain
   control over certain segments of a market, as various examples in the past
   have demonstrated.

   There is an existing Open Standard for office documents, namely the
   Open Document Format (ODF) (ISO/IEC 26300:2006). Both MS-OOXML and ODF are
   built upon XML technology, so employ the same base technology and thus
   ultimately have the same theoretical capabilities. Microsoft itself is a
   member of OASIS, the organisation in which the ODF standard was developed
   and is being maintained. It was aware of the process and invited to
   participate.

   * Why did and does Microsoft refuse to participate in the existing
   standardisation effort? Why does it not submit its technological proposals
   to OASIS for inclusion into ODF? *

   6. Legally safe?

   Granting all competitors freedom from legal prosecution for
   implementation of a standard is essential. Such a grant needs to be clear,
   reliable and wide enough to cover all activities necessary to achieve full
   interoperability and allow a level playing field for true competition on the
   merits.

   MS-OOXML is accompanied by an unusually complex and narrow "covenant
   not to sue" instead of the typical patent grant. Because of its complexity,
   it does not seem clear how much protection from prosecution for
   compatibility it will truly provide.

   Cursory legal study implies that the covenant does not cover all
   optional features and proprietary formats mandatory for complete
   implementation of MS-OOXML. So freedom of implementation by all competitors
   is not guaranteed for the entire width of the proposed MS-OOXML format, and
   questionable even for the core components.

   * Does your national standardisation body have its own, independent
   legal analysis about the exact nature of the grant to certify whether it
   truly covers the full spectrum of all possible MS-OOXML implementations?
   *

 All these questions should have answers that should be provided by the
national standardisation bodies through independent counsel and experts, and
in particular not by Microsoft or its business partners, which have a direct
conflict of interest on this issue.

If there is no good answer to any one of them, a national body should vote
no in ISO/IEC.