[kictanet] Thumbs-up ECK - Confirm your Polling Station via SMS

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 13:00:49 EAT 2007

List M8s,

On behalf of consumers, allow me to declare Mr. Samuel
Kivuitu (i.e.ECK) ICT compliant.

This morning, I composed an sms - typed only my
National ID No and sent that sms to 020-4605872.
Within seconds I received a reply sms that read:

>From ECK
ID No:            XXXXXXX(I've masked my ID No)
Voters Name:      ALEX GAKURU
Voters Card No:   005/012/1570733010
Constituency:     005-DAGORETTI
Polling Station:  012-JAMHURI PRI. SCH.

On further inquiry, I found out this sms is charged at
normal rate (shs 5/=) and that anyone can
query/confirm their polling station from Safaricom,
Celtel or Telkom CDMA phone. The service is powered by
Telkom Wireless technologies.

For delivering the ECK register to consumers' hands
and so conveniently we are delighted with ECK's
visible electoral transparency.

We only hope every public body emulated ECK and
offered similar services. We would be happy to do
e-government
business this transparently.

Thank you

Alex Gakuru