[kictanet] It's a new twist for Econet Wireless

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Wed Aug 1 08:32:41 EAT 2007

Dear Mr. Theuri,
Thank you for supplying more details.  You raise many issues here and more
importantly is the fact that you understand the difference between
regulatory and policy.  For smooth running of the industry, the regulator
must be independent.  The current Government at least wants an indepedent
regulator.  We must leave regulatory issues to the regulator.  The Econet
matter is regulatory.  The Government has extricated itself from mixing
regolatory and policy issues.  This is simple and straight forward.

Your problem is the fact that you are a party to the issues sorrounding
Econet and you are not disclosing that to your audiences. At some point I
am told you did not want KNFC to have access to the licence.  Now you are
advocating issuance of the same licence to KNFC.  I deceided to engage
with you in this discussion because I thought you were a sincere Kenyan
interested in seeing justice.  I now know that you cannot in any way see
issues in this matter objectively.  You will therefore excuse met from
further discussion on this issue.  I HAVE RESTED MY CASE.

Regards

Ndemo.

> Dear Dr. Bitange,
>
> Thank you for your candid response and dialogue. I disagree that I am
> in effect spilling any beans. The information being shared is in
> possession of the Government, the regulator, KACC, courts in various
> jurisdictions and covered in numerous publications across the world.
> These are public domain sources and some of these documents have been
> provided in many different courts by none other than Econet and the
> regulator. In case my liberal sharing has been misunderstood, the
> information I have shared revolves around the infamous litigant,
> Econet, any information that touches on the Government is a result of
> being willingly or unwillingly mired in the scandal and highlights the
> danger of the Government crossing the line of being an impartial party
> and becoming complicit by extension in the actions of the foreign
> entity.
>
> The documents and facts speak for themselves and I believe there is a
> pending matter in court against the regulator over the failure to
> respond appropriately to an objection to the licence as required by
> law. Such are the endless consequences that will potentially continue
> to haunt the government if the right decision is not carried out.
>
> My humble opinion is that for the sake of integrity and faith in
> future tendering and so as to attract companies that will not
> disappoint, that the regulator seek to conduct proper and thorough due
> diligence so that Kenyans and the GoK are not in essence defrauded or
>%2

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.