[kictanet] Day 4 of 10: CCK Internet Study-The Statistics on (Domestic) Infrastructure – 1day

alice alice at apc.org
Fri Apr 27 14:03:48 EAT 2007

> In its recommendation, the report urgest the Government to
> drive the build up exercise of extending the domestic
> internet infrastructure.  Woud this sufficiently address
> the poor penetration of the domestic internet nfrastructure
> or could there be other interventions.

Government efforts and particularly ministry InfoCom in this regard are
commendable. TEAMs, terrestrial, digital villages, adopt a school, etc.

However, this is not sufficient to address poor penetration (usage,
appropriation). One helpful approach would be to try to determine the
needs of current and future internet users, taking into account the
technology’s untapped potentials. In this way it may be possible to
better develop and plan activities aimed at developing appropriate
technology and infrastructure.  These may include making IC Technologies
more available for use in the health field, among grassroots development
projects, promoting education, etc

Further, promotion and use of the infrastructure once there should be
adapted to each specific user group (this approach has its challenges of
course) rather than the number of pops/hook ups. This also implies that
challenges to the use of internet infrastructure and services, e.g.
access to electricity, telephone services, and illiteracy, among others
should be addressed.

In Addition, Kenyan expertise developed (capacity and skills), increased
political will is and a requirement for promotion of further development
and usage of IC Technologies.

If these issues are not addressed I see potentially contradictory
situations, for example, schools will be online, alright,  but without
teachers trained in ICTs, rural hospitals will have access to
telemedicine and the Internet but will lack constant supply of
electricity and despite high demand users won’t be able to install
equipment due to lack of telephone lines. We shall have our fibre TEAMs,
and all the others landing in Kenya, including terrestrial but no local
content. We can only hope that ISP's, media  and others already have
innovative plans, our various ministries will harmonise their ICT
policies to ensure that we all make maximum use of the excellent
internet infrastructure Kenya is about to enjoy in a couple of months

best
alice

1 day + the Weekend on this one, the floor is open.

walu.