[kictanet] Day 3 of 10: Day 3 - Hierarchy of IGO & ISPs

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 15:39:11 EAT 2007

Thanx LK for your views on this theme.  I was also quite
doubtful about the strategy of eliminating the 'middle-man'
(ISP) because the wholesaler (IGO) may not necessarily pass
the cost savings downwards - I for one would simply be
happy to increase my profit margins following the demise of
the ISPs (& why not?)....

...think of TKL who have both IGO and ISP licenses, the
Internet Report suprisingly found that their dial-up
internet service was actually one of the highest (200% of
the Gross national Income) in the Internet Service
provision market...

Indeed I was scared of 'losing' the Wholesale-Resale
relationship b/w IGO and ISPs and this morning (at the
KICTANet media forum) the DG (CCK) shed some light on what
might actually be the final inter-play when he visualised
an Internet Market structure with three players: (network)
Infrastructure Developers, Content Developers and Content
Providers.   I see current IGO becoming Infrastructure
Developers while ISPs maturing to become
Content/Appilication Providers.  Thus both retaining their
relevance in a new dispensation...

walu.

http://kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/lkimani%40comnews.co.ke

http://kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/jwalu%40yahoo.com