[kictanet] Day 3 of 10: Day 3 - Hierarchy of IGO & ISPs

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 08:36:02 EAT 2007

Thanx Alex for your comments on Day 1, for a moment I was
bracing myself for a 10 day Online monologue :-(! as
opposed to the planned Online dialogue. Incidentally,
belated Comments on previous days themes shall remain
welcome - just click on the correct subject line and make
your appropriate contributions...

Anyway back to today's theme- The Question of Internet
Gateway Operators (IGO, the Wholesalers of Internet
Bandwidth) vs Internet Service Providers (ISPs, the
Retailers of Internet Bandwidth).

The report recommends that seperation b/w IGO and ISPs be
dissolved.  This is because the current structure
Internet-> IGO -> ISP -> Consumers is considered
unnecessarily too long.  Apparently the ISP as we know them
today are not adding significant value - instead they are
adding cost to the service and probably degraging the
quality of the Internet eventually delivered to the
Customers.

Cutting down the middle-man (ISPs) may offset the costs and
while increasing the quality of the internet eventually
delivered to the Consumer.  Is this assumption true? Does
allowing IGO to directly deal with Consumer result in
cheaper Internet Services while improving on the quality of
the internet?

1 day on this theme, at the least, I do hope to get some
reactions at from any IGOs and ISPs.

walu.