[kictanet] My day with journalists……By Jose Ngunjiri

Jose' ngunjirijnr at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 11:33:51 EAT 2007

It was the first time for Kimathi
Information Centre (KIC) to do a presentation at a panel of ICT stakeholders.

I was still getting to know how
things work around the meeting until the journalists sought to interview me.

Working around journalists has
made me become more cautious with what I

say. I was interviewed by KBC and the first time is always shaky, you don’t
know what to say or what not to.

It went on well and we got
valuable coverage. Thanks to Kictanet.

After the forum, KDN (Kenya Data
Networks) Pledged that they will help us

 network the six E-learning centres that
we are planning to open. The big

question is where are the resources to sustain all these?

 We are a group operating at the community level
and we are under so much pressure from the neighboring communities to set up e-learning
centres. Our growth is narrowed down by lack of resources.

in as much as we have no money, we are approaching local banks for loans but
the only collateral we have are computers and we have not made progress in
securing loans.

We are not afraid to get loans
because we believe in what we are doing. Countries like Malaysia
succeeded on commercial loans and through hard work they have reaped benefits.
We will too.

On March 24th, we organized a financing symposium that mainly
addressed areas that require financing and how to approach financing
institutions.

Small Medium enterprise Solution centre
(SSC) a World Bank affiliate attended the symposium and emphasized on starting
small enterprises and on ways to access funds as the youth and the importance
of building business capacity.

More than 134 youth delegates
were inspired to see Edith Adera from IDRC. Adera is KIC’s mentor and greatest
supporter.

Thanks for your support!

Best Regards,
Jose' Njuki-Imwe Ngunjiri || +254 722 336754 ||

http://mail.yahoo.com