[kictanet] Freedom of Information Policy

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 23:39:32 EAT 2007

Looks like 12 years after we missed the cable that went to India, determined
TEAMS makes good progress, the rush is now on to connect us, from afar
India when one would logically expected from nearer Dubai. Find it interesting.

We cannot afford another 10 years to wait for "expected prices to drop to
US$ 91 pe mbps" and notably "the South African government will not allow it
to land the cable in that country" says "Outsider East Coast Fiber project comes in from the cold" at <http://www.mybroadband.co.za/nephp/?m=show&id=6035>

Down to specifics, fast forwarding usual preface fibre connectivity niceties, I
read  a couple of troubling questions.

1.  Goolge "Herakles Telecom, LLC" returns nothing, do they not have any
     web presence since 2001? Directors, Financial Records, activities..etc
     EA cost giunea p*g project?

     "About Tyco Telecommunications", ok, explains about Tyco as a company
     and a "For more information visit www.tycotelecom.com"

     "About SEACOM" does not explain about Herakles Telecom, LLCnor a
      website like for the former. Heraklescapital.com should have had a website
      with more information. Trasparent intl. corporate sectorgovernance part of
      Kenya FIA aspirations not confined just to government.

2. "SEACOM intends to develop, construct, own and operate a privately
    funded submarine fiber optic cable". Does private and "open access"
    mix at all or blend well for that matter? Think not.

3. "SEACOM expects to sell ‘cheap bandwidth’ " Why is ‘cheap bandwidth’
     in quotes? Private (monopolies) ownership in any segment translates to
     anti-competitive valves in the bandwidth supply chain whereas commons
     means true open access. Consumer should ‘cheap bandwidth’ pricing.

In principle, as many private entities can build as many of their "business case"
sensible cables they wish; so long private interests do not frustrate TEAMS,
no way that way!

Alex

bitange at jambo.co.ke wrote: Dear All,
It is no secret anymore.  Seacom awards contract to Tyco.  See press
release in the US (see attached).

New Freedom of Information Bill and Policy shall be posted on
www.information.go.ke.   The ICT Bill is finally done by the AG's Office.
Should be published in two week's time.

Ndemo.