[kictanet] of ICANN and acronyms and my thots

Kevit Desai kevit at centurionsystemsltd.com
Thu Apr 5 12:23:36 EAT 2007

Dear Rebbecca,

First things first, kudos to you for this info which has explained all I
needed to know about ICANN and has been beneficial is my understanding of
the acronyms. I do agree with you that ICANN should examine TLD applicants
on the basis of their technical and financial strength. Internet user who
propose to use the internet protocols and infrastructures for otherwise
lawful purposes should be let to do so. What am I saying-'ICANN role in TLD
should be seen as articulating the broad values of internet community'. I do
hope that creation of Regional At-Large Organisations (RALOs) will give us a
platform to air our decisions and shape internet use.

Again through KICTAnet,I have appreciated  ICT usage and capability is
enormous in Kenya. We should embrace ICT usage in all sectors and
disseminate to the rural area for a greater impact and power up. ICT should
be seen as a development tool acceptable by all.

But my worry is the snail pace in policy implementation in Kenya. To say the
least, we are good policy makers but poor implementers. We do have big
thinkers,players,policy makers but  no strategists. Or if we do, we should
separate policy from strategy. Policies should be owned be demand driven
(owned by users) as opposed by supply driven (ICT experts).Implementation
should be driven by the leadership and not the experts.

Rwanda's case in ICT implementation is a thing to learn from.I understand
that the have a comprehensive strategy which includes vision, Mission
Objective Activities etc that is well integrated into their NICI policy.
Their e-Health projects as reported recently are no match to us. What is
lacking in us.....A C T I ON !!

I do hope as a country we shall implement this offer to full.

World Bank Approves US$164.5 Million for Connectivity to Make Kenya, Burundi
and Madagascar More Competitive Up to 25 countries  in East and Southern
Africa could benefit from the broader US$424 million Regional Communications
Infrastructure Program (RCIP)

Regards,

Mike Ngaruiya

Centurion Systems Ltd