[kictanet] [AfrISPA.Discuss] Ex-Africa One Honcho bringing Optical Fibre to East Africa in another project

Eric Osiakwan eric at afrispa.org
Mon Apr 2 10:17:40 EAT 2007

Anders, you have taken the wind out of my sail but to add one more
small point to the ensuing argument that Africa has the trump card
and we must paly it to the advantage of the larger societal good,
extreme profit interest not withstanding.

Again the challenge is "Africa cannot afford another of the same
mistake".

Eric here

On 2 Apr 2007, at 13:00, Anders Comstedt wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> It is true that the situation is heating up a bit, but "One more
> piece of
> evidence that Africa holds the key to the future of
> the global telecoms business" is perhaps to stretch things a bit to
> say the
> least.
> On the contrary, there is a lot to look out for to ensure that,
> whatever the
> solution, SSA is not trapped in a SAT-3 look-a-like situation also
> on its
> Eastern side. None of the proposals on the table are ready to
> clearly spell
> out how they will ensure a level playing field in the countries
> concerned,
> in fact several have been asked to say how, not least during the
> meeting
> Balancing Act refered to.
>
> The major thing now seems to be landing rights and termination of
> international connectivity/traffic as seen from the side of the
> respective
> cable projects, and equally, access to the landing station and the
> international connectivity from all operators in any country on
> non-discrimination conditions as this point may be controlled by a
> local
> dominant player.
>
> And what about terrestrial backhaul to landlocked countries? There
> is not
> much of a clear open situation developed there either,or?
>
> The fact that Africa is still such a thin market will not support
> multiple
> cables in the near future. There is a distinct first mover
> advantage for
> anyone capable to handle the combined political and commercial
> risk. What is
> good is the increased policy maker awareness of the need to have a
> more open
> situation, and the work by the regulators to find ways to handle the
> dilemmas in changing the situation.
>
> The debate over the various caracteristics of the projects also
> raise the
> question of not only getting to just any fibre cable connecting to
> Rest of
> World, but what the conditions really would be to get all the way
> to global,
> competitive hubs, mainly in Europe.
>
> The only thing that seems to be eliminated at this very point seems
> to be
> the argument that "if we do not get a monopoly we will not invest".
> That
> bogus card seems to have been all to frequently played before in
> all kinds
> of telecom situations, also in this.
> Several players seem to be just wanting to be allowed, not
> restricted, to
> make the investment, considering of cause also the first mover
> advantage.
> [...]

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Executive Secretary
AfrISPA (www.afrispa.org)
Tel: + 233.21.258800 ext 2031
Fax: + 233.21.258811
Cell: + 233.244.386792
Handle: eosiakwan
Snail Mail: Pmb 208, Accra-North
Office: BusyInternet - 42 Ring Road Central, Accra-North
Blog: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/eric/
Slang: "Tomorrow Now"