[Kictanet] ICT Sessional paper

C. N. Adeya-Weya elizaslider at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 17:37:04 EAT 2006

Mureithi,

  This is really useful and critical. However, I would caution that the  process must not be driven by the MPs desire to fast track. I know the  concern that some have had that parliament had no role in the ICT  Policy. I did interact with a number who I told frankly that if they  were given an opportunity would they prioritze the issue. In essence,  would they read the policy before they comment or would it be based on  political affliations.

  With the current developments if they were involved in the process we  would not have an ICT Policy approved by cabinet as we speak today. My  point  is let us find ways of making them 'own' and contribute to  the processes discussed below without creating hurdles for ourselves  that are insurmountable. Let us anticipate. However, your efforts are  commendable, I thank you.

  Nyaki

Muriuki Mureithi <mureithi at summitstrategies.co.ke> wrote:                    st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                    Hi colleagues
    ICT is still high in the political agenda .Today at  the official opening of parliament, the President mentioned telecommunications  as one of the sectors that grew fast and contributed to high overall national growth.  He restated the government commitment to the ICT sector and cited the government’s  approval of the National ICT Policy earlier in the year

    In the legislative agenda for this session of parliament,  he said that the government will present
    -           a Sessional paper on ICT
    -           a ICT bill to repeal Kenya   Communications Act of 1998

    I did talk a number of MPs and senior officials in  the ICT sector who were present  and got away with following

    - there is concern that the well meaning initiative  of the government may not be realised simply because of the speed of the  parliament to enact laws. In the last year, only 7 bills were enacted against 25  presented for discussions.  With this speed of delivery, it is worrying if  Parliament can deliver the Sessional paper and the ICT bill before the  elections. One thing that comes out in my discussions with some MPs is the need  to fast track the Bill
    - National ICT policy was published by the Ministry  of I &C and approved by the Cabinet. Parliament had no role. Sessional  paper will be a more forceful national commitment because parliament will  discuss it and approve it. Often Sessional papers are more long term and cross  cutting. It is significant for the government to develop the Sessional paper to  consolidate the gains of the national ICT policy
    - understandably the bill is  in the AG ‘s  office being drafted and barring heavy schedules in AG’s office who have  to republish the many bills that lapsed, the ICT bill will be out soon. Keep  watch. Meanwhile use the draft bill published by the Ministry.

    Cheers
    Muriuki

    Summit Strategies Ltd  - Strategic information  for decision support in infocommunication   business

    ICT Consultancy  &   Research in  Eastern & Central African markets

    Contacts : Tel  +254 (20) 3875824 , Cell + 254  (722) 520090, email: mureithi at summitstrategies.co.ke