[Kictanet] Kenya ICT Action Network Condemns Overnight Raid on STANDARD AND KTN Offices

Waudo Siganga csk at nbi.ispkenya.com
Mon Mar 6 04:24:55 EAT 2006

At 03:25 AM 3/4/2006, Wainaina Mungai wrote:
>I was under the impression that a "KICTANET statement" is a joint
>statement that needs wider consultation so as to legitimise the words
>below....because KICTANet does not exist without its membership. I may
>have been wrong.

Dear All,
My sense here is that Colleague Wainaina is questioning the PROCESS
(earlier he also questioned the outcome). Firstly, I respect his views even
though I may disagree. My experience is that almost all organizations do
not exist in a policy vacuum. Every organization and institution represents
certain principles, positions, norms and expectations that could be either
formally documented or even just tacit. If we talk of the boy scouts or the
Red Cross for example everyone has some idea what those institutions stand
for, even if they have never read the relevant mandate. This situation has
two implications: firstly, that those who join these institutions are
SUBSCRIBING to the general positions of those institutions; secondly, it
means that a spokesperson for the institution can actually make a
pronouncement on an issue reflecting the position of the institution as
long as that position is based on existing general positions, expectations
or principles of that organization. This further means that in many cases
individual members do not necessarily have to be consulted. Sometimes
contacting every member would indeed prove impractical, difficult and time
consuming (imagine if a Catholic priest had to check with every Catholic
before issuing a statement against an abortion incident).

I am therefore disagreeing with colleague Wainaina that unless HE (or every
KICTANET member) is consulted, a resulted position is not a valid KICTANET
position. In this particular instance he has to prove to me that the
statement is against what KICTNET generally believes in or stands for, not
that he was not consulted.

Kind Regards,
Waudo Siganga