[Kictanet] Re: Burning and Closure of Standard Media Group

Sidarec sidarec at kenyaweb.com
Thu Mar 2 17:13:55 EAT 2006

Then why should just a mere reportage of a meeting  between two people be an
issue of irresponsible journalism? If the government feel so agrieved, why
not go to court and sort it out there? I am not trivialising anthing, the
writing is there on the wall!!!

Dear George,

How did you come up with the issue of tribe? No-one of the the respondents
mentioned tribes here so kindly le't not trivialise this global debate.
Afterall, when we fought Moi, it was not because of his tribe - it was the
actions of his government.

>  What is happening to me today, it does not matter what
>  tribe it is happening to, every kenyans should stand up to be counted.
Today
>  it is me tommorrow it is YOU.

Two wrongs have been committed and one is being hidden under the guise of
"press freedom". The media will also hope that Kenyans only notice the wrong
committed by government (which I condemn). It happened to Hon. Biwott but we
now know our euphoria  under Moi made us permit media to misbehave only
because they supported our views. Niether the government nor the media
should be left off the hook for "Abuse of Power". We are dealing with
competition between "The Four Estates" here and they are abusing their power
and freedom.

When the Standard Group is caught in misconduct, they should not hide behind
"Kenyans". They are a company that does what they do for profit. They must
not be allowed to abuse freedom and undermine the democratic rights of other
Kenyans.

Let's not be politically correct at the expense of the truth.

---
Wainaina Mungai
http://www.madeinkenya.org

SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT is development that meets the needs of the present
without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own
needs.

http://kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/wainaina%40madeinkenya.org