[Kictanet] Why Outsourcing to India?

Harry Hare harry at aitecafrica.com
Tue Jan 24 17:05:45 EAT 2006

Dear All,

BOP being the thrust of the ICT strategy; I thought I should share the piece
below for all to reflect on the meeting. One very interesting statistic is
that Bangalore has 20,000 more IT Engineers than Silicon Valley!

Enjoy.

Harry
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Outsourcing to India?
Special from the Pro Hawaii Newsletter and Flight Capital
By David Heenan, 1/22/2006 11:12:11 PM

The following is an excerpt from the book Flight Capital by David Heenan

Shifting U.S. jobs overseas remains an emotional hot button. In 2004,
Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry chastised "Benedict Arnold
CEOs," who favored foreign over American employees.

Then-secretary of state Colin Powell, dispatched by President Bush to New
Delhi, countered by saying that outsourcing was "a reality of the
twenty-first century" but that India should do more to offset the loss of
U.S. jobs by opening its market to American goods.

But don't dismiss the gains in productivity and competitiveness to U.S.
business and the jobs that are created as a result of outsourcing. The rule
of thumb is that each Indian employee represents an annual savings to
American employers of $20,000 to $30,000.

The cost of transmitting work offshore is expected to plummet by as much as
60 percent in 2005 thanks to new undersea cables. While such savings are a
big draw, quality of work is a close second -- and gaining in importance.
The skills of India's computer scientists, for example, are unsurpassed. The
Capability Maturity Model, or CMM, developed by the Software Engineering
Institute at Carnegie Mellon University, has been used to evaluate the
software development processes of hundreds of companies.

Software teams receive a rating of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest. A
decade ago, only Motorola's unit in Bangalore achieved a 5 rating. Today,
387 Indian companies are so accredited. Therefore, multinational enterprises
are getting more complex work done on the subcontinent -- not just in IT but
in fields ranging from financial services to biotechnology.

Clearly, corporate America can no longer be lulled into thinking it is
immune to Indian competition. "The globalization of white-collar services
has become mainstream," says Nandan Nilekani, CEO of Infosys, India's IBM.
The country's unforeseen leap into the top ranks of global technology
refuted conventional development theory, which predicted that India and
other poor countries would follow the same long, slow path Western
industrial nations had followed -- from agriculture to manufacturing to high
technology. India's development shortcut made it the first Third World
nation to use its brain- power, not natural resources or low-wage labor, to
propel its entry into the economic big leagues. "Every company aspiring to
be global has to have an Indian strategy," says Nilekani.

This does not mean the United States will repeat the fall of the Roman
Empire. "Offshoring is not a zero-sum game," says Diana Farrell, director of
the think tank McKinsey Global Institute. "It creates value for individual
American companies and frees U.S. resources for activities with more value
added." Infosys's Nilekani agrees: By working together, both India and the
United States win.

"You have this whole ecosystem [that constitutes] a crucible for
innovation," he told the New York Times. "The whole process where people get
an idea and put together a team, raise capital, create a product, and
mainstream it -- that can only be done in the U.S. It can't be done sitting
in India.

The Indian part of the equation [is to help] these innovative [U.S.]
companies bring their products to market quicker, cheaper, and better, which
increases the innovative cycle there. It is a complementarity we need to
enhance."

While Americans fret over Third World competition, half a world away in
Bangalore engineers are hard at work writing software for the latest
telephones, designing next-generation microprocessors, and developing
wireless broadband technology that they hope will transform homes around the
world. By some estimates, there are more IT engineers in Bangalore
(150,000), India's self-proclaimed Silicon Valley, than in its California
counterpart (130,000). In this southern city once known as "pensioners'
paradise" for its mild weather and slow pace, you'll find the landscape
blazoned with famous corporate logos: GE, Intel, Cisco, IBM, Philips, AOL.
More than half the U.S. Fortune 500, as well as leading European, Japanese,
Chinese, even Pakistani companies, have a significant presence here -- all
using Indian brainpower.

David Heenan is a leading expert on globalization and author of Flight
Capital: The Alarming Exodus of America's Best and Brightest (Davies-Black,
$24.95). His career in business and academia has taken him from Citigroup
and Jardine Matheson to the B-schools at Wharton and Columbia. Today he
serves as a trustee for the Estate of James Campbell, one of the nation's
largest landowners with assets of more than $2 billion. Contact him at
http://www.flight-capital.com

The Pro Hawaii Newsletter is distributed monthly to over 1,000 Hawaii
businesses and their staffs as well as globally to empowered consumers and
professionals. See more at http://www.ProHawaii.com

Copyright © 2005 David Heenan. Reprinted with permission

Guest Editorials...

Email To a Friend