[Kictanet] ICT bill .....does it fit the bill?

frank at ace-media.net frank at ace-media.net
Sat Dec 9 12:21:23 EAT 2006

I'd like to support Rebecca's point of view.   A while back one lister
asked to know what are the actual contents of the draft presented to the
AG.  Are listers in agreement with the version  hosted on
www.information.go.ke? Dated Feb 2006?  Has the bill incorporated the
recommendations by KIF and do we know that for a fact?

Unless I have overlooked something, the version on information.go.ke, dated
feb 06, does not expressly or comprehensively cover data protection,
copyright and intellectual property issues - issues which I think are to
e-commerce (and BPO and IT Outsourcing) what spark plugs and fuel are to an
automobile engine.

I hear that media owners are not in agreement with the proposed
restrictions on cross-ownership and ownership of newspapers by radio and TV
licence holders (Ahead of an election year, coupled with an anti-media
stance from various quarters in government, perhaps some more questions
should be raised to this as well).

Thus, to expect a bill to be passed in record time may not necessarily be
an indicator of parliament's competence.  The debate envisaged on issues of
broadcasting will only serve to delay its enactment, to the detriment of
the ICT sector.

Francis Hook