[Kictanet] FW: Invitation to Online Discussion: Internet inAfrican Higher Education, Research + Technology Development

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Mon Aug 14 20:21:51 EAT 2006

Apologies for cross posting
--------------------------
Dear colleagues and partners of CATIA,

we would like to invite you to our Online Discussion Forum on "The Role of
the Internet in Higher Education, Research, Science, and Technology
Development in Subsaharan Africa". Please disseminate this invitation to
your colleagues and partners who you think may be interested to participate
in the discussion forum.

Higher education, research and technology development are increasingly
recognized as pre-conditions and/or drivers of African knowledge-based
development. How can information and communication technologies (ICT),
especially the Internet, contribute to strengthen the academic and
scientific sector? Can e-Learning bring about better access to higher
education? Are "open" approaches to publishing and content production a
solution to the scarce visibility and availability of African knowledge
resources? Will the Internet help Africa to become active producer of
knowledge-intensive products?

Questions like these are at the heart of our study, commissioned by the
German Federal Parliament and conducted by newthinking communications GmbH
and the German Development Institute. We invite you to contribute your
valuable knowledge, insights and opinions to this research, benefiting at
the same time of the mutual knowledge-sharing with experts in Africa and
other parts of the world. As we expect the research topic to be booming in
international development debate in the years to come, the network that may
arise from this process might be of high value in the future.

SCHEDULE:

Mo. August 21, 2006 - Fr. September 8, 2006
> Week 1: Internet in Higher Education, Teaching and Learning
> Week 2: Internet in Research and Science
> Week 3: Internet in Technology Development
We will provide a summary of the discussion and share our analysis for
further comments during the month of September.
With our introductory message, we will share further details about the
discussion.

REGISTRATION:

The discussion forum is organized on DGroups. You can register by email or
online.
BY EMAIL: Send an email to  <mailto:join-InternetAfrica at dgroups.org>
join-InternetAfrica at dgroups.org
ONLINE: Go to
<http://www.dgroups.org/groups/cgiar/InternetAfrica/index.cfm?op=dsp_join>
http://www.dgroups.org/groups/cgiar/InternetAfrica/index.cfm?op=dsp_join
It would be helpful if you briefly outlined your relationship to the topic
in the email or the registration form. Upon approval of your registration
you will receive an automated email including your password.

If you know of other experts that might be interested in participating in
our forum, feel free to let them know and forward this message.

Please direct your questions regarding the study and online discussion to
<mailto:andrea.goetzke at newthinking.de> andrea.goetzke at newthinking.de.

Best wishes, and looking forward to exciting exchanges,

Andrea Goetzke, Andreas Stamm, Markus Beckedahl

---
Andrea Goetzke

newthinking communications GmbH |köln
Aachener Str. 57 I 50674 Köln