[Kictanet] Re: I am told the Radio Station is now back on air...

TONY WAFULA twaf78 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 17:58:35 EAT 2005

If this is true then I wonder what could be happening.
  If at all what the government spokesperson said yesterday was "official", then what has changed? New evidence of sorts? or the final push for whichever fruit?

  Selective application of "regulations" is not what this country needs. Maybe it is true that some old habits die hard.

  Granted, we want a responsible media.But is shutting down a station the best way to go for a supposedly "progressive country" ? What other possible alternatives exist without resorting to fining a media house out of existence? Suggestions ...ideas ...please?

  The Electoral Commission Chairperson is quoted arguing that the country has no laws that control the media...(no idea how this relates to his work) but isn't it time the debate about media regulation and self-regulation was revived?
  Maybe it is time to revisit the issues again.Media council...whatever happened?

John Walubengo <jwalubengo at kcct.ac.ke> wrote:
  In an even more suprising move, the .KE Govt seems to have put back on air the recently disabled vernacular station...

Incidentally, I do not support abuse of the press freedom by the media. However, Government has an obligation to follow laid down regulatory procedures with regard to implementating some of its penalty clauses.

The Radio Station's lawyers would (may have) argue(d) that CCK may not have followed the procedurs when it came to shutting down the stations operations. Such regulations apparently provide for written notices of intention to shutdown - complete with reasons as to why the action is to be taken. This would give the offending station an opportunity to mend its way, or face the penalty it may deserve in 'due' course.

walu.

>>> "Wainaina Mungai" 11/17/05 10:00AM >>>
Dear Walu,

In the interest of public good and a responsible media, I believe it is unfair for us to condone a media house that encourages violence no matter what side of the political divide it may support. We need a more responsible media and should not allow a bad press to hide behind "press freedom" whenever they are caught breaking the law.

Even the KANU government had a good basis for shutting down a certain media house in the past. There was clear evidence of slunder and some of you may have listened to some broadcasts. That aside, the media house had installed masts in locations where it had no clearance for the same and used signal strengths higher than required resulting in interference witrh other communication equipment. Residents (consumers) especially in Karen complained to CCK and action was taken.

Not everything done by CCK (govt for that matter) is politically motivated.

---
Wainaina Mungai
http://www.madeinkenya.org

SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.

 WITH COMPLIMENTS OF ANTHONY WAFULA