[Kictanet] Selling Software?

John Walubengo jwalubengo at kcct.ac.ke
Tue Nov 15 06:03:01 EAT 2005

Wainaina,

I wouldn't even try to make licensed software (any) cheaper.  The idea of 'selling' software is in itself questionable.  I would prefer to imagine that software (programs or instructions given to computers) is like a (food) recipe.  One does NOT sell recipees, infact recipees are shared by neighbours freely around the world.  What one should instead sell is the skill and time used to convert the recipe into an end product (food).

User's and professionals should therefore have full access to instructions (software, recipe), and using their talent and skills, they can cost and sell their time spend in customising software solutions that suits the local environment.  Such 'customised' solutions should still be open and available to the next user/professional who may wish to further customise a subsequent solution from the preceding solution (while charging for the time spend in doing so).

But hey, it is a big debate and would (should) feature in the deliberations at Tunis.

walu.

>>> "Wainaina Mungai" <wainaina at madeinkenya.org> 11/15/05 12:26pm >>>
Waudo,

I believe one way of limiting software piracy is my making licenced software affordable. Enforcement of expensive software licences has already proved ineffective.

---
Wainaina Mungai
http://www.madeinkenya.org

SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.