[Kictanet] Poor Nations Are Littered With Old PC's: Lets be careful!

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Mon Nov 7 19:56:39 EAT 2005

I agree with Dorcas, that we need:

1.	To develop a “Made in Kenya” computer & communications equipment industry: My position is that taxes on parts should be removed while taxes on finished IT products should remain slightly higher than the parts. This would nurture a computer assembly industry at the very minimum. Alternatively, PC assembly / manufacturers should be given a better tax deal (??tax holidays for promoting employment in ICT??).

2.	To develop strict environmental guidelines/laws on imported communications equipment (including reconditioned mobile phones): This should include parts that will be used for PC assembly. since PCs are dumped here because it's cheap, our government can collect [the equivalent of upto 50% of the amount the "dumpers" are running away from] and still ensure that nothing harmful is dumped here. We would remain a more attractive destinations for the harmlessl devices yet the government would make some good money in the process. ;-)

3.	To enforce our laws on local and imported e-waste: How we dispose our own IT waste is very critical. We are not doing too well on old diskettes, printer catridges and damaged mobile phones. As Dorcas stated, NEMA, Prof. Wangari Mathai and CCK should have their presence felt on this issue if we are to make progress.

4.	To criticaly study and support the enforcement of the ICT related aspects of the Basel Convention - www.basel.int - at the national level: Note that the ICT policy (before Cabinet) has a provision for strict laws on. As the headquarters of UNEP -and as a nation which has officially announced its interest in joining the Security Council - Kenya should lead the way.

5. Alex, I am compelled to "throw an Orange" at your appeal ;-)

I remain Proudly Kenyan,

Wainaina Mungai
http://www.madeinkenya.org

SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.