[Kictanet] Kenya Policy process.....the case of KICTANet

Brightwater brightwater at africaonline.co.ke
Mon May 16 19:15:44 EAT 2005

Alice,
 Have just read your article "New Generation of Policy Development: The Case
of Multi-stakeholder ICT Policy Process in Kenya" which I must say is
excellent. The process adopted by KICTANet in promoting MSP using ICT has
indeed marked a revolutionary way of engagement and which I feel must not be
confined to our discussions on ICT Policy. So many times we hear that this
Ministry or that Ministry is developing new policies with potential and
significant impacts on the lives of citizens but who never get a chance to
give their own views or get the opportunity to be consulted by policy makers
to understand how the new policy is likely to affect lives. The way KICTANet
has handled the ICT Policy discussions has shown how important policy
discussions can be made all inclusive at relatively low costs and with
immense speed. The case has also acted as a wake up call that ICT has
changed our lives forever and shown the interconnectivity between all
sectors and therefore the importance of consulting widely.

I propose that the Government gives serious thought to adopting this method
of MSP if they are serious in engaging with stakeholders in policy making.
They should embrace ICT totally and use it extensively as it has proven to
be a powerful and fast communication channel.

We thank you for capturing it all so well and so soon. Your appointment to
the Board of CCK is well deserved.

Bella