[Kictanet] "THE SECOND-HAND COMPUTER" - A POLICY ISSUE

Monica Kerretts-Makau m.kerretts at unsw.edu.au
Wed May 4 06:27:27 EAT 2005

This  email follows from James Nguo's email on Refurbished computers: I
agree that the matter merits further consideration by the group.

I will therefore attempt to raise all issues relating to this  in point form
for your quick perusal. However, i strongly urge you all to give the below
issues indepth consideration where the policy is concerned and have appended
below the link to research reports done by Schoolnet Africa on this issue.

1)There are differences between Refurbished computers and recycled
computers:

Refurbishing: refers to the process of testing, trouble-shooting, repairing
and, where necessary upgrading a used PC to enable productive re-use. While
they are second hand computers/used computers, they are distinct in that
they have undergone this process.

Recycled: refers to the decommissioning and disassembly of end-life
computers into their component parts and the process of reclaiming the
composite metals, glass and plastics for re-use in other products, thus
minimizing landfill and associated waste and pollution

The above therefore needs to be distinguished from:
 a dumped computer: A computer not suitable for use and has been deemed to
have completed its 'life'. There have been some some cases where our Western
counterparts and even NGO's have seen these as being of benefit to
developing countries. These are redundant computers and that needs to be
clear in the policy as non-acceptable. Africa is not a landfill !!!

When 'we' therefore speak of A 'second hand'/used  computer we should be
careful to note what 'we' are talking about. From the above, a second-hand
/used pc can therefore be one the above and that distinction needs to be
clearly defined.

2) The type of PC/Second-hand/used computer needs to be defined with the
limits" being placed on low specification pcs. If that is the case, which it
should be, then the following needs to be considered:
Are un-refurbished PCs low specification pc's?
What limits should PC's have: P11 or P111?
I point out the above for two reasons:
First, different organizations and NGO's have differing definitions on the
type of PC they donate. This information should always be made available to
the end user. Many do not accept anything below a PI1.
Second, where private companies and countries donate PCs. The 'life' of the
PC needs to be known to avoid dumping situations

3) Should we put a criteria on where PCs are refurbished or leave this open?
Which ever way both have different arguments:
-There is an opinion that when the donar takes responsibility for
refurbishment before point of entry, then the computers come in ready to be
put to 'immediate, productive and sustainable' use. There also tends to be
some assurance on the 'life' span of the computer and ownership for the
quality of refurbishing done.
-On the other hand where refurbishing is done at 'point of entry' , this is
seen to build and provide technical skill and capacity.

There other issues such as maintenance and once end of 'life' takes place
what happens...

However, for policy making, i believe the above definitions and issues need
to be considered and not left as a "blanket'.

I draw your attention to the report done by schoolnet Africa on this issue:
http://www.schoolnetafrica.net/1304.0.html.
The report covers all the above and more and i highly recommend it for
reading.

Best wishes
Monica

Monica Kerretts-Makau