[Kictanet] Fw: [DigAfrica] Kenya Praised for Internet Growth

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Sun Dec 18 15:34:42 EAT 2005

There is certainly a lot of movement in the right direction in Kenya, but a
whole lot is yet to be done especially around policy. I had a discussion
recently with a leading private network operator who believes that there is
a lot hidden demand for broadband in the East African market and are
prepared to invest a lot of money in a combination fiber optic access
networks and Wi-Max to bring broadband to cities of the region. The operator
is also making advance plans to tap into the planned East African Submarine
System (EASSy) and connect some cities of the region to the world via cost
effective and high bandwidth fiber. Their main frustration is that they are
being denied the right to provide broadband access to certain public
institutions and certaing metropolitan areas where the government favours
the incumbent operator (who probably does not have the money).