[Kictanet] Media Turmoil in UG

John Walubengo jwalubengo at kcct.ac.ke
Tue Aug 16 09:13:25 EAT 2005

Hey,

Folks in Uganda, give us a shout on what's on the ground regarding the media.  What is coming out is that some FM stations aired rumours and speculation regarding Dr. Garang's death to the point where the President personally ordered them shut down.

I have no problem with them being shut, my problem is HOW they got shut.  My worry here is about institutional independence.  I do believe that UG has an established ICT Policy, Regulatory Body and all the other nice things that Kenya is just beginning to move towards.  And yet, suddenly out of nowhere, the 'S' word (Security) seems to be exceptionally supreme and deployable by the Executive - at the expense of any written regulatory framework...

What can Kenya learn from this as it tries to finalise its ICT policy?

walu.