[Kictanet] Fwd: FW: Blacks don't read

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Mon Aug 1 14:17:11 EAT 2005

Thanks Flo and Wainaina.

My first reaction is obviously indignation....what Cheek!!!

But agree with Wainaina and would rather consider myself as a Kenyan. And
yes we do have our own idiosyncrasies, we have extreme challenges in our
social sectors, high levels of deprivation, extreme poverty and inequality,
etc. and this in turn exacerbates conflicts of different natures. From what
would appear to be selfishness to corruption and mismanagement. As a result
majority of Kenyan's continue to be severely constrained to contribute to
the development process as well as collective and individual well being.
And it does point to a framework of social and political institutions which
are highly personalised, and revolve around patronage and political
mobilisation based on ethnicity.  The expectations that people (including
poor people) have of government and elected officials relate more to getting
access to short-term, tangible, benefits on a personal basis, rather than
the provision of public services on the basis of need and universal rights.
In addition, the capacity of Kenya's public institutions, including the
civil service, parastatal organisations, public sector, banks, the police
and the judiciary, our communal creativity has been seriously and
systematically undermined over many years.

alice