[Kictanet] Fw: Dialogue on "Poverty Reduction and ICTs"

Shem Ochuodho shem at arcc.or.ke
Tue Apr 5 23:52:07 EAT 2005

Wainaina,

Have perused some of the stuff you are working on, which look pretty
interesting - and very much in line with what we are trying to do with
"Poverty Reduction and ICTs". In choice of words, I am very careful not to
reverse the order (ie "ICTs and Poverty Reduction", ICT4D, etc) for the fear
that that may misplace the emphasis.

Indeed, though conventionally "poverty reduction" is often taken to be
part/aspect of "development", hence the assumption that "ICT for Development
(ICT4D)" includes "ICTs for poverty reduction", I am tempted to think the
term "development" is an understatement of "poverty reduction". I would
rather see the latter more as "survival" than "development"; but I could be
wrong!

Anyhow, the "Poverty Reduction and ICTs" Roundtable meeting comes up next
week Tuesday 12th April at Landmark Hotel; thanks to CATIA, TESPOK and ICT
Policy Consortium - Africa for sponsorship. It shall be co-hosted by ARCC,
Media Council, KICTANet, ICT Policy Centre, UoN IDS, KIPPRA, etc.

There is a strong feeling from some members of the Consortium to agitate for
"Poverty Reduction [and ICTs]" to be Chapter 2 (after Introduction) in the
Draft ICT Policy to give this aspect the desired weight. We shall shortly be
posting the Roundtable agenda. Perhaps TakingITGlobal could present on "MDGs
and ICTs".

Rgrds,
Shem, ARCC

PS: Apologies for cross-posting. For other members of the various lists,
please treat this as an invitation to present or participate at the
Roundtable.