[kictanet] Call for input into Election Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2017 and Election Offences (Amendment) Bill 2017

Lawrence Dinga, CISSP ldinga at managecom.co.ke
Wed Oct 4 12:29:48 EAT 2017

I completely concur with the views so far.

It is evident from the current mood of the country that the amendments to the Election Laws are not all inclusive and the general feeling is that it is more of a political game undermining the electoral commission ahead of the repeat presidential elections. As Barrack says, our key interest is promoting the best use of ICT to bring lasting solutions to our myriad problems.

As we are aware, the contentious issue that led to the nullification of the presidential election was that IEBC refused to open the servers for scrutiny and get the logs for analysis. The reason they were citing is that servers are not located in Kenya and "the custodians were still asleep" while the logs were needed by the Supreme Court. This brings my point of Data Protection and Residency Laws in Kenya. (Please I do apologise in advance incase there are any such laws which I am ignorant of). If only KICTANet could engage in such initiatives as to help Kenya in having Data Protection and Residency Laws, then that would solve a lot of problems for the nation. As it turns out, many of us were victims of data privacy violations in 2013 when most of us found themselves to be members of various political parties without their knowledge. Technology is changing rapidly and shaping our ways of life and that is why even Europe is replacing the old EU Data Protection Directive which has been there since 1998 with the new legislation that is far more comprehensive than our old Act, the journey that started way back in 2012.

We can start somewhere by KICTANet initiating stakeholders workshops to educate the public on basic understanding of personal data, what data privacy means to everyone, protecting your digital identity and how to respond to a data breach. This may culminate into some select committee of technology and legal professionals to draft our data protection regulation. I think by this we will have contributed something we can be proud of as KICTANet instead of involving ourselves in a process which is viewed by many Kenyans as not all inclusive and could be having some sinister motives.

That is just my opinion

Regards

Lawrence Dinga, MSc. (InfoSec & Forensics), CISSP
Managecom Systems Ltd
+254 721226324/ 0733973999