[kictanet] Blue Whale info

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Sun May 14 01:04:05 EAT 2017

'Blue Whale': But Nechama Brodie - the head of Tri-Fact training and
research at Africa Check - says there is nothing to suggest such an app or
website exists. "What we've seen - and this is a pattern that gets repeated
over and over again - is that sometimes viral stories that came out of
someone's imagination, that were completely fictional, become real over
time because we've invested so much interest in them. So it didn't exist
before but not it exists as a concept." She says the information on Blue
Whale fits a "very classic profile of typical hoaxes and scares that we see
around vulnerable populations and around teenagers in particular."
http://m.ewn.co.za/2017/05/11/blue-whale-a-new-online-suicide-game-targeting-teens

Although certain game groups on social media have been accused of promoting
suicide, they have not been found to have directly caused an uptick in
young people taking their own lives.
http://www.snopes.com/blue-whale-game-suicides-russia/

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
twitter.com/lordmwesh

On 13 May 2017 at 12:50, Mark Elkins via kictanet <