[kictanet] [Security Forum] MENTOR NEEDED

Ngundi, Vincent ngundi at ca.go.ke
Fri Dec 1 21:30:05 EAT 2017

Splendid, to say the least.

Regards,
Vincent

-------- Original message --------
From: Gathungu Ibrahim via Security <security at lists.my.co.ke>
Date: 01/12/2017 20:54 (GMT+03:00)
To: "Security Forum All information security discussions in Africa are done here (Hacking, Decryptions, Security management, physical security, Disastor Recovery, Security Assessments etc etc)" <security at lists.my.co.ke>
Cc: Gathungu Ibrahim <mgathungu at gmail.com>, KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
Subject: Re: [Security Forum] MENTOR NEEDED

Nice troll Thomas.

Mwanah, feel free to reach out on chat and I will assist. I also set out my career in InfoSec because of guidance from a wide set of mentors and a hunger to learn. Couple of pointers

1. Passion from the mentee accounts for a large portion of the contribution to the relationship and the mentor just has to have the willingness to share information.

2. As Dan said, mentioned. The Africahackon community and other Cyber fora are good places for free-flowing information. Just get in touch with anyone who attends the conferences.

3. A good PC/laptop is paramount. Set up quickly, dual boot *nix and windows for ease of testing your PoC, alternatively use virtual machines or bootable disks. Download Kali which is a good foundation OS - https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux-vmware-virtualbox-image-download/ Youtube/google university and dumps of eBooks provide you with a lot of learning.

4. Explore! The potential in this industry presents a lot of opportunities. I chose InfoSec consulting as I learn very wide concepts and see them in action in different companies while interacting with many professionals.

Have a great weekend. Hope this helps you or someone on this forum.

Regards,

Ibrahim Gathungu.