[kictanet] Research Report: Free Basics in Real Life - “poor internet for poor people” or "offering some web experience"

WANGARI KABIRU wangarikabiru at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 10 22:25:14 EAT 2017

https://advox.globalvoices.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/FreeBasicsinRealLife_FINALJul27.pdf
https://advox.globalvoices.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/KENYA.pdf

"Facebook’s Free Basics program aims to help bridge the digital divide through a mobile-basedplatform that allows users to connect to a handful of online services free of charge. In a visionstatement for the program, Facebook surmises that “[by] introducing people to the benefits of theinternet” they will help justify the cost of mobile data and thereby “bring more people online andhelp improve their lives.”The program has been the subject of controversy since its inception, reviving the debate overopen access and the digital divide. Digital rights experts have argued that the program violatesnetwork neutrality, brings an imbalance to local content and mobile subscription markets, andcreates a “poor internet for poor people” that does not allow users to truly explore and discover theglobal internet.1 Others have praised it for offering users some degree of experience with the web,and for incentivizing operators to make mobile data more affordable for more customers...."

--Read on!
Blessed day
Regards/Wangari ---
Pray God Bless. 2013Wangari circa - "Being of the Light, We are Restored Through Faith in Mind, Body and Spirit; We Manifest The Kingdom of God on Earth".