[kictanet] Opinion Technology, transparency, and the Kenyan general election of 2013

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Sun Mar 31 14:19:31 EAT 2013

Good point @walu.

It is also prudent to announce emmidietly after the elections exit
polls of how many people voted. This will also strengthen the output
of the RTS. In the concluded elections, IEBC announced a voter turnout
of 70% on the night of the elections, but two days later, the turnout
metamorphosised to 85% (I might be wrong). The end result will avoid
vote stuffing as you have put it.

Regards

On 31/03/2013, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:
> @Brian,
>
> Coalition Govt will be with us forever.   Our current govt, Jubilee is a
> coalition between TNA and URP.  So expect "nusu-mkate" politics to be with
> us for a while and it is not necessarily a bad thing.  Even UK, Germany,
> Israel and many other mature democracies have these types of governments.
> Perhaps we just need to learn how to manage them.
>
> @Rigia,
> Nice piece on the technology and election processes.  But it misses one
> fundamental that most analysts, legal counsel and I dare say the Supreme
> court may have missed.  The fact that the Results Transmission System (RTS)
> is not just useful in "speeding-up" the announcement of results but its
> fundamental and more useful role is by acting as a PARALLEL verification
> mechanism.
>

> What this means is that once the tallying has been done and announced at the
> LOCAL Polling station, those very (Presidential) results are supposed to be
> instantly transmitted to the NATIONAL Level and thereof made public to the
> wider national community. In essence the "local" data is no longer just
> local but becomes "global", and any attempt to modify the same at a later
> stage,  by way of agreement, error or outright corruption will require a
> good amount of explanation. This is because what was Transmitted and
> displayed electronically is expected to match the physical election Forms 34
> as they arrive at the National level, 2-3days later.
>

> Remember, just because all agents did sign the election documents (Form34)
> maybe good but it is not sufficient evidence that what was countersigned is
> indeed what was announced (each signatures has a price?).  It is much
> stronger and a better  check if what has been countersigned manually is
> cross-checked against another parallel system - the Results Transmission
> System. One may then ask, what if the RTS is also compromised? i.e. Agents
> collude with the Returning Officer to sends fictitious results
> instanteneously over the RTS?  This is unlikely to happen because as our
> outgoing President, Mwai Kibaki once rightly put it, you need Intelligence
> to rig elections :-).  Most of this "intelligence" only occurs after a
> period of time (1-2-3days) later when 60-70-80% of the results at various
> polling stations is locally  known  but remains globally or nationally
> unkown (awaiting physical arrival of Form36) . It will not be very
> intelligeny to start
>  rigging an election, when you are yet to gather the general
> trend(intelligence) of the results since one can easily over-rig and get
> caught :-). So you can bet your salary that instantly transmitted results
> are likely to be more reliable/correct results as compared to the physical
> ones that will arrive 3days later.
>

> Put differently "instantaneous" transmission of  results at the polling
> stations distributes widely what is otherwise "local" knowledge and DENIES
> [...]

Mwendwa Kivuva
For
Business Development
Transworld Computer Channels
Cel: 0722402248
twitter.com/lordmwesh
transworldAfrica.com | Fluent in computing
kenya.or.ke | The Kenya we know