[kictanet] www.capetown.gov.za .. vs .. www.nairobicity.go.ke

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 14:25:23 EAT 2012

As we move to county governance, some interesting comparisons on
transparency here:

*CITY of NAIROBI*

http://w3techs.com/sites/info/nairobicity.go.ke - Joomla - rated highly as
a Web Content System.

The site is better than nothing, but not much to write about in the links
under "Town Clerk"

Some links under "Town Clerk" have references to documents we cannot
download today.

http://www.nairobicity.go.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=151&Itemid=280

As of today, no city plan published in the "Planning" section.

As of today, there is no transparency -- no content published inside the
"Procurement" link / section.

Remember this is a City Council which loses well over USD 1M every year on
dubious transactions.

*CAPE TOWN*
*
*
http://w3techs.com/sites/info/capetown.gov.za - SharePoint - Rated Highly
as an Enterprise Content Management System.

No doubt they invested well over USD 50,000.00 for SharePoint plus related
software - Computing and Networking Hardware not included.

The web portal no doubt cost CapeTown.gov.za at least USD 500,000.00 to *
initially* deploy.

On going maintenance cannot be less than USD 100,000 per annum to add
transparency / efficiency to governance.

5 interesting links @ www.capetown.gov.za -- they have 20+ sections.

https://www.capetown.gov.za/en/ServiceRequests/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/IDP/Pages/WhatisThe5yearPlan.aspx

http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/SupplyChainManagement/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/SupplyChainManagement/Pages/SupplierRegistration.aspx

http://web1.capetown.gov.za/web1/newcitynotices/AwardsNotices.asp

This does not include maintenance of their in house ERP systems from other
software vendors.

:)