[kictanet] Africa at ICANN - Continent on the Move

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Tue Oct 23 21:36:03 EAT 2012

Africa at ICANN - Continent on the Move
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20121023_africa_at_icann_continent_on_the_move/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20121023_africa_at_icann_continent_on_the_move/

<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20121023_africa_at_icann_continent_on_the_move/#add_comment>

By *Andrew Mack* <http://www.circleid.com/members/4199/>

There was one obvious take-away from this week's ICANN meetings in
Toronto, and for once it was less about policy and more about geography.
Simply put, Africa is really --- finally --- coming together at ICANN,
with a new energy, new unity and lots of new participation from African
participants. And from top to bottom, the ICANN community seems to be
taking notice.

The evidence was everywhere... You could see it in the large number of
African participants from all over the continent, and in active African
engagement in the GAC. You could see it in the statements from the ICANN
CEO, Board Chair and constituency leaders who came to the release of the
new Africa strategy and praised both the strategy and the strategy
process --- inclusive, fast-moving and importantly, driven by African
stakeholders at ICANN, not imposed from above. You could also see it in
the tremendous enthusiasm for the AUC-endorsed dotAfrica (.africa)
application, which has become a real a focal point of an emerging
"African Agenda".

Of course, the hard work is yet to be done.

All sides need to follow through to turn the strategy into real impact,
to make sure that ongoing outreach becomes a reality, not just happy
talk. We need to make sure the .Africa application --- which has support
from more than 40 countries (and counting) isn't slowed down by the new
batching process or any other noise. Nobody in the end was in favor of
digital archery, but the system did have one thing right --- a
preference for geographic, community and IDN names. Prioritizing Latin
American and African applications makes sense given the history of
"outreach", the small number of applications from these regions and the
reality of the internet's growth. We believe a new "draw" system without
a focus on underserved regions would send the wrong signal to the
international internet community. It wouldn't do justice to the good
work already initiated with support from the CEO, and in the end, it
would be bad for ICANN.

As a long time Africa watcher at ICANN, I saw much to celebrate in
Toronto. And I'd like to especially compliment new CEO Fadi Chehadé for
creating the space for (and what seems like genuine interest in) the
needs of the continent that has been underserved for so long. But while
words are important, we're just getting started. Africa is showing that
it is serious about playing a real, sustained role at ICANN. Hopefully,
ICANN is serious as well.

*By Andrew Mack <http://www.circleid.com/members/4199/>, Principal at
AMGlobal Consulting*