[kictanet] Education and Our Future

Esther Muchiri emuchiri at andestbites.com
Fri Oct 5 21:42:42 EAT 2012

@ Mwangi,

I agree with you - JAB should be abolished or its role redefined. A year ago, I went to pick my son after his final KSCE paper and was drawn towards the school’s notice board, where he and other students were busy going through the longest list of courses offered by public universities in Kenya. The school had asked them to pick whichever courses matched their ‘expected’ grade. I saw boys select courses based on the ‘big’ titles e.g. anthropology – without any idea what the courses entail!

I believe the problem is lack of career guidance in our schools. In a recent conference on Careers & Mentorship, ‘appointed’ career teachers expressed their frustrations at the lack of resources to guide the students. They feel overwhelmed and frustrated, especially because they do not have the right information to guide the students as expected. In one rural school, for example, the career teacher asked the Form 2 students to go home and agree with their parents what subjects to pick/drop at Form 3! My question is, how does a school expect a semi-literate parent in rural Kenya to guide their children on subject choices?

We need to learn from what Canada and the US are doing. Over 15 years ago, schools introduced games that stimulate the imagination of students by exploring their dreams about future lifestyles. Students are assisted to draw job profiles based on their dreams and learn why educational achievement is necessary to reach that position. By playing these games, students are able to relate their school experience to career choices, learn to make informed learning and life choices, discover personal skills and talents, relate learning to earning etc.

Anyone interested in learning more about these tools, please contact me directly.

Esther