[kictanet] Freedom of Information Bill and Open Standards

Victor Kapiyo vkapiyo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 14:59:02 EAT 2012

Interesting observations Evans.

I would be interested to know what the Directorate of E-government has done
especially with regard to facilitating digitisation of processes,
collection and release of data by government, such that they would be able
to tell us the kind of formats that are being used and whether these
standards are indeed open, and if not why. Btw, is there a govt position on
the use open standards?

Likewise, and with regard to IEBC process, we would need to be informed
whether the software in use is open source. I am not sure about the release
of code to the general masses - but probably it would be useful to IT
security experts for audit. Nevertheless, it would be important to release
information on how the software & the process works as part of their
responsibility in being transparent & accountable - i just saw them launch
sth on telly today.

Lastly, on FOI, for me its not so much what the bill should or shouldn't
say, but its more our interpretation of Art. 35 of the Constitution. Such
that any technology (e.g. icts, open standards, open data, open govt,
digitisation etc) that would facilitate the right are adopted and promoted
and technologies or practices e.g. not keeping data in electronic format -
as mentioned by Rad! above, would be abolished as they inhibit and
frustrate the enjoyment of the right.

My two cents.

Victor

--