[kictanet] {Disarmed} [Fwd: Ingenuity wanted in African Weather Sensor Design Competition organised by Delft University of Technology (the Netherlands)]

Muthoni Masinde muthoni at uonbi.ac.ke
Fri Dec 7 10:17:46 EAT 2012

fyi
Delft University of Technology initiated the ambitious TAHMO
(Trans-African Hydro-Meteorological Observatory) project. This project
aims to design and build a network of 20,000 weather stations in Africa;
one every 30 km. With this dense network we could obtain more accurate
climate data, which of course is essential for agriculture, weather
prediction and climate modeling. The stations would be placed at schools
and integrated in the educational program. However, current available
sensors for the stations are expensive and/or not robust, and hence not
suitable for the TAHMO project. Therefore, we are organising a Sensor
Design Competition among African universities and institutes. The
objective of this competition is to come up with a weather station sensor
that could be used in the TAHMO project. Please see also
www.tahmo.org <http://www.tahmo.org/> <http://www.tahmo.org
<http://www.tahmo.org/> <http://www.tahmo.org <http://www.tahmo.org/>  >
and the attached flyer and poster for
more information.

Local knowledge and expertise is absolutely essential for making the TAHMO
project successful. We therefore would like to invite your University to
join the TAHMO Sensor Design Competition. We think the competition is a
great opportunity for your students and scholars to exhibit their
knowledge and talents regarding engineering and/or meteorology. IHE Delft
has already helped me announcing this competition by 'spreading the word'
in the WaterNet network. Of course, more coverage among African
Universities is more than welcome. Therefore, I would like to ask you if
it would be possible to announce our competition at your Department or
other Departments/Faculties that might be interested. This would be of
great help!

If you are interested, we could also send you some copies of the attached
poster and flyer. In that case, please let me know the address we can send
them to.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. If you have any
questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Looking forward to your response,

Kind regards,

Tanja Hilkhuijsen MSc
Project leader TAHMO Sensor Design Competition

www.TAHMO.org <http://www.tahmo.org/> <http://www.tahmo.org/>
www.facebook.com/TAHMO.competition
<http://www.facebook.com/TAHMO.competition>
<http://www.facebook.com/TAHMO.competition>
competition at tahmo.org<mailto:competition at tahmo.org>

TU Delft University of Technology
Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Stevinweg 1, 2628 CN Delft, the Netherlands
*: +31(0)15-2784673
*: t.m.hilkhuijsen at tudelft.nl<mailto:t.m.hilkhuijsen at tudelft.nl>

and is believed to be clean.

 UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI IS ISO CERTIFIED

The University of Nairobi is committed to providing quality services to all
its clients. The University will monitor and review its quality performance
from time to time through an effective implementation of the Quality
Management System based on ISO 9001:2008 standard.

University of Nairobi Website: http://www.uonbi.ac.ke/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/uonbi.ac.ke