[kictanet] Head of U.S. Delegation to WCIT: Creating an Environment for Future Success:

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Sat Aug 4 21:06:05 EAT 2012

Dear all,

See below remarks made by the head of delegation to WCIT 2012. He
discusses Kenya's successes.

Best

Alice
---------------

http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/rm/2012/196035.htm

    Creating an Environment for Future Success

Remarks
Ambassador Terry Kramer, Head of Delegation, U.S. Delegation to the
World Conference on International Telecommunications
Information Technology Industry Council
Washington, DC
August 1, 2012

Share on facebook
<http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/rm/2012/196035.htm#>Share on
google_plusone <http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/rm/2012/196035.htm#>
<http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/rm/2012/196035.htm#> Share
<http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php>

*As prepared for delivery*

First, let me say "thank you" to ITI for your leadership and engagement
in a critical and high impact area. I am honored to have been appointed
to this role as Head of Delegation for the United States at the World
Conference on International Telecommunication -- or, as we often call
it, the "WCIT."

I am drawn to the WCIT because it presents an important opportunity for
the United States and the world:

  * We have all seen, over the past 25 years, incredible successes and
    growth in telecommunications and the Internet universe;
  * Now, we face a pivotal question: How do we create an environment for
    the future /global /success of telecommunications and the internet?

In my career in telecommunications, domestically and abroad, I have had
the good fortune, as many of you have, to witness the rise and societal
impact of two phenomena: the birth of mobile communications and the
advent of the Internet.

When I look back at my time in the mobile communications industry, it
was a "beeper" business, which then transformed into a "cell phone"
business. That cell phone business then went from a high-end market,
initially targeting wealthy individuals, to a mass-market, "must have"
service. And finally, it went from a developed-country business into a
truly global one.

Meanwhile, the Internet ecosystem has evolved, thrived and changed the
very nature of human interactions and connectedness. The Internet is now
flourishing with unimagined capabilities and uses, from advanced search
to location services incorporating user preferences and social
media---all of these focused on providing highly personalized and
relevant services and user experiences. We can literally look to the
stars -- and have our smartphones tell us what constellations and
planets we are seeing.

The development of the Internet is truly inspiring -- but that's not why
I am here. What I want to talk about today is the opportunity we have,
through the WCIT, to build the /environment for success/ for the future
global telecommunications and Internet universe that everyone wants and
needs.

*Mobile*

The foundation of that environment for success can be found, I believe,
in the consumer-driven, competitive growth of the mobile service
industry. That industry has pioneered an entrepreneurial spirit,
engineered the rapid and cooperative development of industry standards,
promoted market liberalization and driven an intense focus on satisfying
customer needs.

In just 25 years, we have come from no cell phones /at all/ to more than
5.3 billion mobile subscriptions worldwide.

  * Today, the world's developed markets have achieved, on average, 116%
    mobile penetration, and even developing markets average about 70%
    mobile penetration -- a figure estimated to reach 100% in the next
    3-4 years.
  * Or consider this: roughly 90% of the world's population -- and even
    80% of its rural residents -- now live in areas that have mobile
    network coverage.

Around the world, 3G and 4G services are increasingly available, and
millions of users now will likely obtain Internet access -- for the
first time -- using their cellphones. How did the mobile revolution
become so successful, so fast?

  * A wave of liberalization and competition driven by national
    regulators who opened their markets to multiple service providers;
  * Regulators who moved proactively to make spectrum available for
    commercial use;
  * Industry-driven standards-setting which brought technological
    innovation to market at accelerated speeds;
  * A new, consumer-oriented outlook -- adopted by industry and
    government alike -- that drove innovative services and business
    models, such as pre-paid services, text messaging and handset
    subsidies; and
  * Mobile operators, device makers, internet players and infrastructure
    providers who all worked together to form a healthy, vibrant
    ecosystem to deliver customer relevant mobile internet services

Innovation was unchained to meet and promote demand, and the result has
been growth at hyper-speed -- well beyond what any ministry or monopoly
could have planned or directed.

*Internet and Broadband*

Meanwhile, as the mobility revolution was gathering steam, the Internet
also was becoming a global phenomenon, on both mobile and fixed
platforms. The adoption of the World Wide Web -- as we called it then --
gave the Internet a user-friendly interface, while the open and
decentralized architecture invited content and easy, cost-effective
access. And look at the results: There are now about 2.4 billion
Internet users worldwide -- a number predicted to rise to 3.5 billion by
2016. At least 1.2 billion of those Internet users today are in
developing countries.

Moreover, demand for Internet access and other IP-based applications
have fueled the growth of broadband networks. Fixed broadband
technologies, including DSL and cable modem services, make it possible
to download rich video and internet content, as well as voice calling
through VoIP services.

This content can be created, cached and transmitted anywhere in the
world -- and increasingly, that includes developing countries that are
linked regionally through new undersea cables and Internet Exchange
Points (IXPs). As a result:

  * Broadband service is now available in 208 economies -- virtually
    every country in the world.
  * Fixed broadband subscriptions have more than doubled in five years,
    from 284 million in 2006 to an estimated 591 million at the end of
    last year.

Of course, the growth of broadband capability is not confined just to
fixed services. The marriage of the Internet and mobility -- embodied in
3G and now 4G networks -- is a growing reality. The number of mobile
broadband subscriptions is believed to have surpassed 1 billion
worldwide in 2011, and 3G service is available in more than 143
countries around the globe.

Not surprisingly, we are seeing an explosion in the amount of data --
much of it in the form of VoIP and video -- circling the globe. Roughly
369 exabytes (an Exabyte is 1 million terabytes) of IP data were
exchanged around the world last year -- a number that Cisco predicts
will rise by 2016 to 1.3 zettabytes annually -- a figure equal to 1.3
/billion/ terabytes. Overall, IP traffic is forecasted to grow at a
compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 29 percent from 2011 to 2016.

Operators, meanwhile, have abandoned the old 'walled gardens" that
restricted non-proprietary content -- and they have done so with the
customer in mind. Like the mobile industry -- and perhaps even more so
-- the Internet is created, maintained and driven, in an organic,
bottom-up way, by the people who need it and use it.

Again, we have to ask ourselves: Who created this phenomenon? And the
answer is both "nobody" and "everybody." The Internet is truly a
decentralized ecosystem, pulling in network operators, applications
designers and content creators from all over the world.

*Societal Benefits*

The beneficiaries of the mobile and internet industry growth are
individuals and societies all around the world. The Internet creates:

  * *Economic benefits* -- Jobs--beginning with mobile network expansion
    and jobs created through online commerce and content delivery
  * *Commercial benefits* -- illustrated by farmers can use cellphones
    to link with buyers, check weather conditions and determine
    commodity prices in real time;
  * *Social benefits*/--/ Health care providers can use mobile
    technology to do remote diagnostics and treatments as well as
    training of health professionals. Governments can now make services
    available online, and people can inform themselves about political
    events and proposals;
  * *Human benefits* -- Groups can organize themselves online, friends
    can re-establish contact after years of separation, and everyone
    explores new meanings of connectivity and /connectedness./

In a global marketplace battling for growth, telecommunications and
Internet industries have acted as multipliers of productivity,
translating into greater employment and social benefits. In the OECD
countries, the Internet now accounts for an average of 4.1% of GDP --
and up to 7-8% in the most "wired" countries, such as South Korea or the
UK. Moreover, a University of Munich study, reported by the ITU, found
that a 10% increase in broadband penetration yields an increase in GDP
of .9% to 1.5%.

With the Internet, we have benefits that are as concrete as a labor
statistic and as ephemeral as a smile on a laptop screen.

*The Internet Is Global*

One thing also is clear: this phenomenon belongs to the entire world.
Internet business ventures, social media companies, and enterprise
applications are sprouting up all over the globe.

Meanwhile, national broadband plans and policies which lower
market-entry barriers, allow competition, encourage
infrastructure-sharing, reallocate and re-farm spectrum, and provide tax
incentives for investment are being implemented in both developed and
developing countries alike.

In Kenya, the government:

  * Articulated a clear national policy for its communications market,
    called Vision 2030;
  * Leveraged its geographic location to develop access to international
    fiber-optic cables, reducing wholesale bandwidth costs by 80%;
  * Used public-private partnerships to attract investment; and
  * Pioneered online banking services, such as the M-Pesa service, which
    is used by more than 80% of subscribers (13.5 million people) of
    Safaricom, Kenya's largest mobile operator.

One of the so-called "BRIC" countries, Brazil, has also initiated a
national broadband plan that:

  * Seeks to maximize competition in the mobile and broadband markets;
  * Fosters investment in the incumbent provider Telebras as a
    competitor in the wholesale broadband service market;
  * Employs technology neutrality in regulating networks, while
    encouraging network buildouts, and
  * Provides tax and financial incentives.

Hong Kong, meanwhile, has leveraged a private-sector, market-oriented
strategy to achieve:

  * A successful auction of LTE and WiMAX spectrum in 2009 -- even in
    the midst of the global financial crisis; and
  * Sustained private investment in broadband infrastructure, resulting
    in a broadband penetration rate of 83% at the beginning of last year.

Developing countries are acting now to facilitate the development of the
Internet. The key is to adopt nationally specific policies that leverage
the broad-based nature of the Internet and mobile environments and
create a "virtuous circle" of higher demand, economies of scale and
greater supply.

*Sustaining an Environment for Success*

Another way to describe these market developments is what I call
/innovation supply and demand/ -- the ability of innovators and
entrepreneurs worldwide -- big and small -- to create new products and
services on the foundation of a healthy telecom and Internet industry.
This creates a supply of thousands of new products and services for a
"demanding" set of customers who are anxious and willing to consume
these new services in a world of greater mobility and connectedness.

Governments work best when they implement an environment conducive to
innovation supply and demand -- then step back and avoid
counter-productive interventions.

We should be clear about the specific ingredients for a successful
Internet ecosystem:

  * The presence of a consuming public that is keen to learn, to be
    mobile, to achieve and to be connected;
  * Markets that foster innovation and competition, forcing providers to
    improve and become more efficient to attract and keep customers;
  * Notable economies of scale in all aspects of new products and
    services -- whether it be infrastructure, consumer devices or
    services -- driving down costs and permitting widespread adoption;
  * Intuitive service offerings that make simplicity and ease-of-use the
    top priority in driving market uptake;
  * Standards that permit interoperability between a burgeoning set of
    devices and services within an increasingly global marketplace;
  * Availability of spectrum for an increasingly mobile world;
  * And perhaps most importantly: /freedom/. This includes the freedom
    of ideas, the freedom of information and the freedom to take
    entrepreneurial risks in an increasingly vibrant and decentralized
    environment.

We should recognize that the innovation we have seen in the mobile and
Internet environments was not implemented in a top-down fashion by
policy-makers. It was driven by multiple players and stakeholders around
the world. There are thousands of social media companies, Web designers,
retailers that market their own e-commerce offerings, analytics
companies that break down complex data patterns to drive customer
relevant offerings, mobile phone distributors, Internet cafes and
community centers -- all of them with a role in shaping products and demand.

The Internet has grown precisely because it has NOT been micro-managed,
regulated or "owned" by any government or intergovernmental
organization. Let's be clear about this: the Internet continues to
demonstrate the effectiveness and success of the current
multi-stakeholder structure -- and its own independence. No government
or single organization can or should attempt to "control" the Internet.

Sustaining this environment, I believe, offers the best chance to
continue achieving our mutual goal of making an innovation-driven
Information Society a reality all over the world.

*WCIT*

This brings us to the WCIT, which is the International Telecommunication
Union's first conference to review the International Telecommunication
Regulations (ITRs) since 1988. As we look back on what the delegates
accomplished that year, we should appreciate the environment for success
that they created. The genius of that work can be found not just in what
the delegates chose to do back in 1988 -- but what they refrained from
doing.

The true "magnetic north" of their compass was to create a framework for
interoperability and connectivity. But they did so without
over-burdening the ITRs with rigid "fixes" for specific issues or
perceived inequities. Within the scope of the ITRs, the 1988 delegates
created an architecture for innovation, flexibility and broad-based
consultation.

The world has changed and, as with any successful organization, it is
wise to consider how that change should be reflected in the ITRs. But it
is critical to acknowledge the flexibility and guidance that the ITRs
have provided, in light of our new environment.

It is also vital to see the differences between the Internet and the
structure of international telecommunications backbones, circuits and
gateways that have been addressed in the ITRs. The Internet is a new and
different phenomenon, entirely. It is not the legacy of common carriage
and "bent-pipe" transmission; it is an ecosystem of content providers,
application developers, social media companies, and data and video
transmission providers -- and ultimately, ideas and knowledge. There is
no Internet "central office" or headquarters. Its openness and
de-centralization are its ultimate strengths.

Now that the Internet is here and established, we need to nurture it as
an environment that is:

  * Highly data driven;
  * Characterized by a free flow of information and commerce, happening
    at light speed,
  * Where innovation is organic and distributed worldwide, and
  * Where consumer interests continue to be met even where they differ
    from country to country and within countries.

*Opposing Content Restrictions or Censorship*

Several proposals have been made for the upcoming WCIT that, although
seemingly well-intentioned, fail to acknowledge this "new world" we live
in and what is required for future success.

In particular, proposals to control content transmitted over networks
run counter to the foundation of a free and vibrant telecommunications
and Internet society.

The ITRs serve to set an international framework for linking
international telecom facilities. They should not be inappropriately
stretched to cover any aspect of content routed over those facilities.

Throughout the WCIT process, the United States has, and will continue
to, express opposition to proposals that would place governments in a
position of greater power to censor the Internet, track content or
target end users -- even under the guise of combating spam, controlling
traffic routing or identifying calling number information as a way to
defeat alleged fraud and "misuse" of networks.

There is an overriding issue of freedom of information that the United
States recognizes as a core tenet of human rights. This is embedded not
only in US constitutional law and tradition, but also within the
founding documents of the United Nations. Both the Universal Declaration
of Human Rights, and the International Covenant on Civil and Political
Rights contain provisions (Article 19 and Article 19.2, respectively)
that recognize freedom of expression, as well as the right to receive
and impart ideas, in any medium and across borders

Proposals to control content and routing, or to expand the definitions
of international telecommunications to cover the Internet, ultimately
will not work. Such proposals will only:

  * Stifle innovation, promote customer cynicism, and breed
    "work-around" solutions to undermine flawed policies;
  * Undercut the free flow of information and ideas, defeating the
    entire purpose of the ITRs themselves.

Similarly, proposals that seek to artificially mandate pricing terms --
such as "transfer payments" between content providers and network
operators -- will only result in failure. With regard to
transfer-payments on data traffic, the U.S. would raise the following
questions:

  * How would transfer payments be implemented in the current environment?
  * Who would determine the transfer prices and how to apply them?
  * Is the originator of an Internet search a sending or receiving party?
  * Finally, what happens if network operators refuse to transmit
    downloaded content because the "termination rate" to a certain
    country or ISP is excessive or uneconomic?
  * And probably most importantly, would such pricing lead to increased
    freedom or flow of information -- or less?

To be clear, the United States will oppose changes to the ITRs that (1)
restrict the free flow of content, (2) broaden the scope of the ITRs,
however subtly, to impinge on the Internet's natural growth and
evolution, or (3) impose uneconomic pricing or transfer-payment
obligations on Internet content providers or backbone operators.

In its initial tranche of contributions, the United States will make the
following proposals, which are consistent with this approach. We will:

1) Consider only minimal changes to the preamble of the ITRs;

2) Seek alignment of the definitions in the ITRs with those in the ITU
Constitution and Convention, including no changes to the definitions of
/telecommunications/ and/international telecommunications service;/

3) Approve ITR's which maintain the voluntary nature of compliance with
ITU-T Recommendations;

4) Continue to apply the ITRs only to /recognized operating agencies/ or
RoAs; i.e., the ITRs' scope should not be expanded to address other
/operating agencies/ that are not involved in the provision of
international telecommunications services to the public; and

5) Promote revisions of Article 6 to reflect the variety of flexible and
innovative interconnection and termination arrangements found in
competitive markets.

There will be subsequent opportunities for the U.S. to make additional
proposals, and meanwhile, I am engaging in bilateral discussions with
other governments to hear their views and how they believe their own
proposals will drive continued success of the telecommunications and
internet industries

For the United States, our approach is based on recognition that the
existing environment today works amazingly well, and it is empowering
telecommunications -- and human -- development by quantum leaps. In
cases where imbalances occur, they can be addressed through market
forces and consumer-focused /national /policies that empower local
content development and stimulate local and regional traffic and demand.

So what should be the focus of our unique opportunity to drive a new set
of ITRs at the WCIT?

  * To reaffirm our belief in what will drive future market success;
  * To recommit ourselves to the goal of maintaining and promoting
    global telecommunications connectivity in the 21^st century;
  * To create an unfettered, free flow of ideas, information and commerce;
  * To establish high-level principles that foster an open and secure
    Internet and network operating environment; and
  * To be pragmatic in understanding that telecom and Internet economies
    are too large, too distributed and too diverse for any one
    organization to control.

In more practical terms, this means preserving the principles of the
ITRs' preamble -- including the value of connectivity -- maintaining the
stability of the ITRs, as well as the voluntary nature of compliance
with the ITU's standards recommendations, and preserving the definitions
in the current treaty that have served the world well. It means avoiding
changes to those definitions -- and to the overall ITRs -- that would
broaden their scope, dilute their meaning and amount to "mission creep"
for an international treaty that has been so effective in establishing a
platform for growth and innovation.

So, in summary, we should congratulate ourselves on the 25-plus years of
success in building a vibrant telecom and Internet economy, driving
economic growth, and empowering individuals with information,
connectedness and commercial opportunities.

Our challenge now -- more than any other -- is to maintain an
environment for continued success, and to continue creating that
environment around the globe, in all countries. We need to acknowledge
how innovation is best created, through consumer demand, and realize
that the Internet is beyond the scope of any one nation or regulatory
authority to control or manage.

By following these principles we will enable the telecommunications and
Internet phenomenon to become our lasting legacy and platform of success
for future generations. Thank you.