[kictanet] CCK hosting its website abroad

Evans Ikua ikua.evans at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 09:22:32 EAT 2012

One of the biggest costs that relate to webhosting is bandwidth. Then you
can think about power and manpower (IT skills), not necessarily in that
order. To run a really big data centre, you need these resources in large
numbers and eficiently. Out there the cost of bandwith is like 10 times
cheaper than what we have, if not more. Someone can correct me on this.
Certain countries have highly subsidized bandwidth. Power is very expensive
in Kenya, dont even talk about the urealibility. I was once at electricity
house to pay my elec bill and I could not because there was a blackout
there!

So, countries that have sorted themselves in all these variables are the
ones running the big data centres. And because of the scale, they are able
to offer the hosting services at a very low price. We will need a lot of
time to atch up with them, unless of course we run faster than we are
running right now.

Evans