[kictanet] CCK hosting its website abroad

Joseph Mucheru mucheru at google.com
Sun Apr 22 23:37:52 EAT 2012

Grace/Wanjiku,

While I see the argument you are raising for local support, I think there
is a bigger question as to whether the Internet is local? Also how many of
the local hosting companies are locally owned? I think you should evaluate
the total economic impact to Kenya and not base it on face value. It would
be great if as an industry we answer some key questions and then decide
whether it is beneficial to use "local" or imported. My phone is Korean,
Laptop Apple (Chinese or US - you decide), Office furniture from a South
African company, imported from Italy etc.. back to the subject of local
hosting ..... How many Kenyans are  in the diaspora and using the Internet.
 I think you are asking the wrong question. You should be asking about the
quality of service to the visitor of the site. Various considerations go
into where to host a service;
1) Cost
2) Security
3) Quality of Service - where is your primary audience, what devices
(mobile (feature or smart phone?, desktop, tablet )
4) Search Engine Ranking and optimisation - Discoverability
5) others ...

Who is best positioned to provide this kind of comparison data? Can you
investigate and give us feedback?

Thanks

Joe Mucheru

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Quoting the article by Rebecca Wanjiku...
>
> For a regulator like the Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK), you
> would expect them to be promoting services if the whole talk of how
> infrastructure has improved and how it is getting better.
>
> Read more...
> http://www.wanjiku.co.ke/2012/04/cck-hosting-its-website-abroad/
>
> Rgds
> GG

Joe Mũcherũ
Regional Lead, Sub-Saharan Africa
Google Kenya
7th Floor, Purshottam Place
Westlands Road
P O Box 66217 - 00800 Westlands
Nairobi,
KENYA

+254 20 360 1701 Office
+254 20 360 1100 Fax
+254 20 360 1000 Switch Board (Regus)

+254 722522135 Mobile

http://www.google.com

This email may be confidential or privileged.  If you received this
communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else, please
erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it went to
the wrong person.  Thanks.