[kictanet] Fw: [Apcwomen-meet] GRANTS FOR HACKER SCHOOL

Florence Etta feanywhere at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 20:21:16 EAT 2012

 FYI
Sorry for cross posting!

Women, want to sharpen your computer & internet skills? Etsy offering 20
grants to "Hacker School" for women: http://d.pr/3KYC

Today, in conjunction withHacker School, Etsy is announcing a new
scholarship and sponsorship program for women in technology: we’ll be
hosting the summer 2012 session of Hacker School in the Etsy headquarters,
and we’re providing ten Etsy Hacker Grants of $5,000 each — a total of
$50,000 — to women who want to join but need financial support to do so.
Our goal is to bring 20 women to New York to participate, and we hope this
will be the first of many steps to encourage more women into engineering
at Etsy and across the industry.
Hacker School
Hacker School is a New York-based project described by its founders (David
Albert, Nicholas Bergson-Shilcock, and Sonali Sridhar) as “a three-month,
immersive school for becoming a better programmer. It’s like a writers’
retreat for hackers.”
I love their focus on open-source software, on coding over building a
startup, and especially on having a productive classroom environment
that’s free from the negative conversational habits that all nerds
sometimes fall into. They establish rules such as, “No feigning surprise —
‘You don’t know who RICHARD STALLMAN is!?’” Working to make a comfortable
and supportive classroom environment is a great example of their
educational insight and approach, and helps to address one of the big
points of dissatisfaction female computer science students tend to
experience.
In Hacker School’s current batch, however, there is only one female
student out of 20 (and yes, I am working on hiring her). Talking with
them, they said all the same things I

Read more at link:

http://d.pr/3KYC